Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:49:45 AM

Author Topic: Emco 50 Lathe & Mill  (Read 7239 times)

Emco 50 Lathe & Mill
« on: November 10, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
Hi,
I've used Mach3 for over a year now in a retrofitted grizzly mini mill. I am new to this group and I'm looking for advice. I was just given two CNC's, Emco 50 Lathe and Mill but it appears that the PC's and software have been lost. It was my intention to get these running and offer the use of them at my son's school so I don't want to sink a lot of money into them. Contacted Emco, the worst case price is about $3500 to retrofit each machine and there is no guarantee that more repairs might be needed. My experience level is die making / machinist for 35 years, did some CAD/CAM programming for friends for the past 10 years. My electrical experience is lacking so this project may be out of my reach.....

My questions are if anyone has retrofitted these types of machines and what type of success they had?  What my projected costs may be?

Any comments or questions or suggestions are welcome.....Thank You
older_pup

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Emco 50 Lathe & Mill
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
OP, Welcome to the club. I cant see why this wouldnt be a relatively easy conversion for a man with your skills. Chances are most if not all of the electronics would be reusable in the conversion. Google the steppers schematics, hook them to a G540 and power supply and be on the way. Is there an electronics class at your sons school also? Callaboration? I cant imagine more than 750 if all your missing is the software. G540, power supply, licensed (maybe student?) version of Mach3 and some of your time. Having converted a Grizzly it shouldnt be too much different. Of course I am not familiar with the exact models you are referring to but I have done it to a Dyna 2400 and 3000. The latter having a 6 position turret. Post pics and people will jump in to help.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »
So I looked on YT. Nice machine, I have seen a thread or 2 here on those. I immediately found a conversion on YT unfortunately in German maybe? Nice job whoever. http://youtu.be/B5NUD_an5ck
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »
Is this similar to the lathe you have? If so, can you say "Score"! They look great. Very similar to my Dyna. http://youtu.be/k4hTpOytSqg
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
Thanks for replying,

Yes, these two YT clips are the same as my machines, I enclosed 3 photos. Very happy to hear that the lathe may be able to retrofit, it also has a 6 position turret.
As far as H.S. electronics, there is none. This is a small Christian school, around 250 students.

I'm just about done with the 90% done with the cleanup, so I am about ready to move on to the next step.

I'm guessing I will start on the mill 1st, I have a licensed version of Mach3 here, I will just use that to start with.

older_pup

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Emco 50 Lathe & Mill
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »
Those look great. I don't necessarily know how to reuse the membrane keypads the rest is probably very doable. Take plenty of pictures of the electronics. Make this a new build log thread here on the zone and a few people will be able identify and teach you to possibly reuse some existing spindle controls, relays etc. maybe even the drivers. What part of the country or world are you in?

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Emco 50 Lathe & Mill
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:28:42 PM »
Can you operate it manually from the console? My Dyna was able to do a few things but I could never drop feed it. So I converted it. I couldn't find the software or the dongle.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Emco 50 Lathe & Mill
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
Drip

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Emco 50 Lathe & Mill
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »
The guy who did the first video (the mill) yvesdupre turns out to be a member here and talks a little about the controller he uses. It is a csmio Ethernet controller. They are supposed to be pretty reasonable. The few things I have read are very positive.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »
You'll find that the EMCO steppers are NEMA 23 size 5 phase and that's why the guy in Germany shows that he replaced them with new NEMA 23 2 phase steppers.
The CSMIO/IP-M controller is a great controller and you can read about it here: http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/galeria-zdjecie-dD-60-CSMIOIPM_4axis_Ethernet_Motion_Controller_STEPDIR.html

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.