Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:17:31 AM

Author Topic: Alternative Mach use  (Read 2609 times)

Alternative Mach use
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »
Ok, being a long time Mach user, I have a project I want to do and use Mach for control . Even though I have been using Mach on my mill for several years, I have not used Brains or any other scripting. So my question: I am tinkering with making a table top mold machine and want to control the machine with Mach. From those out there that are more script savvy do you guys or gals think it possible. And yes I understand I can use a PLC to do this. The reason for Mach use is I like it, one and I like the option to be able to upgrade the control off the shelf and not worrying about the control becoming obsolete.
Thanks,
 Richard

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Mach use
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
First you need to define exactly what you need mach3 to do it that application.

(;-)TP
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
Basically just timed events.  One of the events would have to read a linear transducer ,when it matches a number you set ( I would guess in a DRO box) then it would turn on a relay for a specified time then go to the next process.
How a mold machine would work is: You select a switch for Semi Auto or Automatic, this would would either cycle the machine after you open and close the safety door or it would cycle on its own. the mold would close in low pressure, when it reaches a set point on the transducer it would go into high pressure. Once locked up in high pressure it would inject plastic and using a linear and/or pressure transducer, when it reaches its set point it would hold for a delay time then retract. After the inject delay time finishes it would start a second delay for cooling, when finished the mold would open. When fully open it would eject part and depending on the semi or auto would continue the cycle again.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
OK you  mean injection molding controller..

That would not be something I would control with Mach3 you would be better served with a PLC in that application.

Mach3 is a machine controlling dealing with drives and machine proceeses like mill, lathe, ect doing precise coordinated moves across 6 axis.

NOW could it be done ??? more than likey. Would I trust it  for that application NOPE. Mach3's strong suite is NOT precise synced timing across it CB language and its motion side. Besides most IMP machines do not use servo drives for motion they run hydraulic's with PLCs for precise timeing constrants.  Without the precise timing you may end up with PSO. Plastic squirting out. (;-) That is an old shop joke.

But please keep us informed on how it works out.

Just a thought, (;-)