Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 10:53:05 AM

Author Topic: Post processor files type in vectric products  (Read 11470 times)

Post processor files type in vectric products
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »
In Vectric software, when you save the toolpath to a file, you can select from a whole bunch of file types. When loading the toolpath file into Mach 3, it expects a default of ".tap". I am currently saving the toolpath file from Vcarve Pro to a Mach3Arcs(inch) which generates a ".txt" file. The file loads and seems to work just fine in Mach 3. Since Mach 3 is expecting a ".tap" file, I have to select "all files". I then have to choose a .txt file from all the files in the folder. I would rather have a ".tap" file ready and just click in the list of ".tap" files and not have to see all the files in the folder.
So my question is:

Can I output the toolpath to a "G Code(inch)" which creates a ".tap" file and have it processed by Mach 3 correctly?
The file type that I am currently saving is Mach2/3 Arcs (inch). Is this correct? It seems to work OK but may be generating more G code than other choices. I don't really know. If the answer to the first question is yes, then this question becomes moot.

Thanks

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Post processor files type in vectric products
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »
Mach is NOT locked into 1 preferred file type. It can process MANY types . The type is really ONLY the ext name.

JUST A THOUGHT, (;-) tp
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
So I can create the toolpath file with the "G Code(inch)" and it will be processed correctly by Mach3?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »
As long as the file is an ascii based file and the filename fits the windows filename spec the ext can be just about anything.

TestFile.txt
Testfile.NC
Testfile.NCC
Testfile.NGC
TestFile.BFH

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »
Once you load the .txt file, in Mach3, if you close and restart Mach3, it should look for .txt file the next time you run it.

You can also modify the Vectric post.
Change these two lines.

POST_NAME = "Mach2/3 Arcs (inch) (*.txt)"

FILE_EXTENSION = "txt"

to this:

POST_NAME = "Mach2/3 Arcs (inch) (*.tap)"

FILE_EXTENSION = "tap"
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »
While on the subject, I've wondered why Mach defaults to the .tap extension. A search for .tap files came up with this: “Commodore 64 Cassette Tape Image”. Seems a bit obsolete so there must be another explanation?
Al
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 08:17:57 AM »
Thanks to all for the info. I changed the post file to .tap. Works great and easy to do.