Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:21:37 AM

Author Topic: New computer problem  (Read 3720 times)

New computer problem
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:22:47 AM »
The computer of my CNC died and I replaced it with a Dell Optiplex GX270 Pentiun4 and Win XP, after connect the parallel port, my problems began. Unexpectedly, the engines stops, making sound. This occurs unexpectedly in any of the 4 axes and turning the system in very unstable.

The Test Driver tells me excellent control system, with max variations of 20 ms. I have also made ​​all the recommendations of "Win XP Optimization", without results. I also tested another PCI parallel card, change step pulse and dir pulse etc,etc,etc...

Any idea or solution recommendation.

Thanks,
German

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: New computer problem
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:59:07 AM »
Can't speak for using a GX270, but, I could not use a GX520, because the output signal as generated by the computer
was bad even though the driver test showed it to be ok. On-board graphics is the culprit. Have a look at the output signal from the pc with an o'scope and see if there is a problem. Use of my gx520 required using the SmoothStepper.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »
 :-\ Rick,
Do you  know, what happen if I use some PCI grafic card?  ???

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »
Hi German,

If it's any help, my Advent PC initially had problems with the onboard graphics but fitting a PCI graphics card and configuring it first up in BIOS made everything just fine.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »
Thanks,
I placed an AGP video card and the problem seems to have disappeared, in any case this weekend will make more intensive tests.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:10:11 AM »
Today I used my system and the problem continues, with less intensity but continues
Somebody have another suggestion...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »
German,
I have three of the Dell GX270s, and all perform rock-solid with three of my single-board controllers, but very rough with a Sound Logic breakout board and Gecko 201s.  I thought it was a problem with the 3.3 V output level of the Dell pport and the SL card.  I switched to a SmoothStepper to resolve the issue with the Geckos.  I'm still using two of the GX270s with HobbyCNC and Xylotex drivers.  What breakout board/controllers are you using?

Regards,
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 10:56:06 PM »
John,
Seems Optiplex crash with Geckos
My system have Gecko201 and homemade breakboard with pull-ups in inputs and directed conection in outputs.
Regards,
German