Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:25:27 PM

Author Topic: Looking for free or demo software to convert Rhino model to G-code  (Read 4564 times)

Hello Group;

I am completely new to the CNC world, and have got to the point where I have working stepper motors on a bench. I use Mach3, and the usual hardware. Ultimately I want to create a 3D model in Rhino software, then carve it out of metal or wood on a vertical mill (maybe a gantry router). Typical stuff.

I simply need a bit of clarification on the steps in between. I assume  (but please correct if I'm wrong) that I model a 3D shape in Rhino, my favourite software, then save as a DXF file, then convert that file into a G-code file that Mach3 can load and run. Assuming that this is a fairly basic and machinable shape, is my Rhino-to-mill table path correct?

Also, I know that there exists a RhinoCam software that presumably takes 3D models and does all the conversion to a ready-to-machine file, but at $1200 this is too steep for my early purposes.

Is there any free or demo software that can do this? Or, have I made bad assumptions in how I'd approach this?

In the beginning I start with a 3D Rhino model, and in the end, I wish to have the wood or metal shape after it's been machined. Basic questions, I know, but that's where I am for the moment.

Thanks to all who may assist. Tom.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for free or demo software to convert Rhino model to G-code
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Hi Tom,

If you export your Rhino model as an .stl file then there are a number of programs which can create the GCode.

MeshCam is one http://www.grzsoftware.com/ and this has a free 30 day trial version download.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
Tweakie;

I had a look at the website, and it looks excellent. And, $250 is a lot more manageable than $1200. In theory, a guy could spend infinity on this hobby. It's nice to have options.

I'll give it a try and see what it's like to use.

Appreciated !

Tom.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
Hi Tom,

There is another, similar, software DeskProto http://www.deskproto.com/ which again has a trial version free download.

After trying them both I preferred using DeskProto but MeshCam has much better customer support for its product and it's use.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
Tweakie, again, you da man!

Feel free to keep 'em coming.

Keep wearing that cape.

Tom.