Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:47:23 AM

Author Topic: DriverTest - Pulsing Too Fast  (Read 7739 times)

Re: DriverTest - Pulsing Too Fast
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:26:27 AM »
You didn't mention the UC100 USB to parallel adapter...from a user standpoint, it looks to be a good interface from ease of installation.   Woudl rather not have to rewire everything in the driver enclosure, it's all done now, and need to stay with a parallel D-sub interface.
It's $129 plus shipping, and will allow any old USB machine to work....I wonder whether it is any good though?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:04:30 AM »
Never seen that before and dont know anyone who uses one so cant say if its any good or not.
Regarding not wanting to do extra wiring, the SmoothStepper was designed on that basis, ie it takes the place of the parallel port so all you need to do is connect the parallel cable to the SS and the Ethernet or USB cable to the computer and you should be fine, plugin and driver to install as well of course but thats software and will be the same for whichever external  controller you chose. The added benefit of the Smoothstepper is it has 2 or 3 parallel ports worth of I/O (USB 2 ports plus 6 inputs, Ethernet 3 full ports) should you wish to expand in the future where that device is only 1 ports worth.

Lots of pros and cons for all devices and again all depends on your budget and what you are wanting, both now and the future.
Hood
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:06:02 AM by Hood »
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 06:16:01 AM »
Won't I still need, for the smooth stepper, to find a place to mount it, add power wiring, etc?  I mean it isn't plug and play like the Uc100 or did I miss something?
Although I do like the idea of the additional ports and expansion, I don't see needing them, and would like to move this adapter over to the other machine I need to control...just thinking out loud...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »
Some people mount the SmoothStepper in the computer, some in the cabinet, your using a laptop so would need to put it in the cabinet or make another box. Ethernet one will require a 5v supply which you can grab from the computers USB if you wish (chop up a USB cable), USB one can use the power from the USB direct or an external 5v.
 The one you linked to will still have to be mounted somewhere so not much difference, it will be a bit smaller I suppose but likely not much, the SS is only 70 x 90mm

Now not saying you should go for the SS, just saying they all have their place depending on requirements, as mentioned before the CSMIO would be the one I choose but my requirements are not the same as others.

Hood
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
I guess what I am looking at, is the UC100 simply plugs into the USB port of the laptop, and into the cnc driver box just like a cable.  Then it's just software driver.
As simple as can be.  If I was going with a new design, and didn't have the driver box all done on both machines, it would maybe make sense to go with something else...wish I could get some commentary from a UC100 user. I see one over on another forum who indicates he owns an ethernet smooth stepper and hasn't even installed it, as his UC100 works fine.  Who knows...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 06:36:13 AM »
Ok I see, just looked at the manual and it is in a backshell so enclosed, pic on website shows its open. There is also a Russian one similar to that, again how well it works I have no idea, in fact it may even be the same one,see here http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,22235.0.html

Hood