Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:01:04 PM

Author Topic: Adding a slider in JetCam?  (Read 16324 times)

Adding a slider in JetCam?
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:32:50 AM »
Is it possible to add a visible slider in JetCam? I can put one in but it's always invisible no matter what I try. JetCam does not have the skinning ability that Screen4 has. I wonder if  that is why it has not worked.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline RandomAccess

•  96 96
  • SubSurface
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a slider in JetCam?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:53:06 AM »
Hi Mike,

The screen editor from Jetcam currently does not support skinning.
However,  the new version I am working on right now will support this and more.
You are correct that sliders are not working due to this.

Best Regards

Stan
Download JetCam screen designer from
http://files.jetcam.net/stan/mach/

ynneb

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 06:43:45 AM »
However,  the new version I am working on right now will support this and more.
Sounds exciting. How long b4 we get to see this new version ?
Would you be offended if we made a list of feature requests ? :)

Offline RandomAccess

•  96 96
  • SubSurface
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:15:14 AM »
Hi Benny,

Sounds exciting. How long b4 we get to see this new version ?

Well,  I am completely rewriting it.  The original version was designed for us to also be able to edit our own Jetcam screens for our Jetcam software,  however this is no longer neccessary.  So,  I am building a new version of the editor to make it easier for me to add better features and make it even easier for users to edit screens.

Would you be offended if we made a list of feature requests ?

No.  But I must point out that there's generally nothing I can't do concerning screen design and editing.  But I am somewhat restricted by what the MACH software can do and by the existing file format used by the MACH software.  So if anyone gets a NO from me,  it will generally be due to these restrictions.

best regards

Stan

ynneb

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »
Stan, I have an unusual request. Could I see some of the screens people designed in your company, using your designer.
I realize you may not want them in public domain, so just screen captures would be great. I am interested to see the requirements of a professional company, and also their visual approach to screen design.

Offline RandomAccess

•  96 96
  • SubSurface
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Hi Benny,

Anyone interested can see Jetcam screens I believe by visiting our website www.jetcam.com
I should point out that no screens were developed yet using the new designer I wrote to handle both MACH and JETCAM screens.

I did "transform" some MACH 3rd party screens a while back and submitted them to Art,  in order to give him a good idea of what can be done with the editor,  however I no longer have these screens myself.

regards

Stan
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:12:44 AM »
Hi Benny,

Would you be offended if we made a list of feature requests ?

No.  But I must point out that there's generally nothing I can't do concerning screen design and editing.  But I am somewhat restricted by what the MACH software can do and by the existing file format used by the MACH software.  So if anyone gets a NO from me,  it will generally be due to these restrictions.

Stan,

After a few dozen hours on JetCam I'd like to offer these ideas for improved functionality, if you don't mind. They are basically just user efficiency improvements. Sorry, it's my design validation experience getting the best of me :) .

1) Add slider/skin ability.
2) Enable locking of objects in place.
3) Reduce the "Save" function from 3 clicks to 1 click.
4) Make the New Screen, Open, Save menu always present no matter what object menu a user is in.
5) Make the Control Properties menus all on one page.

What I find very useful is the layer control, Undo and alignment buttons that are always displayed and ready to use. That helps bigtime!

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Offline RandomAccess

•  96 96
  • SubSurface
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »
Hi Mike,

Some of your suggestions have already been implemented in the next version.
There is now a "File" menu (like normal Windows apps),  with simple New, Open and Save commands on it.

I am not sure what you mean by point 5,
however I will be taking a fresh look at how properties are displayed and edited.

As for "locking" of objects,  I will definately put this in,  as I usually do this when I create visual editors - not sure why it was left out from the MACH editor in the first release. 

regards

Stan
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 10:59:24 AM »
Hi Mike,

Some of your suggestions have already been implemented in the next version.
There is now a "File" menu (like normal Windows apps),  with simple New, Open and Save commands on it.

I am not sure what you mean by point 5,
however I will be taking a fresh look at how properties are displayed and edited.

As for "locking" of objects,  I will definately put this in,  as I usually do this when I create visual editors - not sure why it was left out from the MACH editor in the first release. 

regards

Stan

5) Make the Control Properties menus all on one page.

Point 5 describes the menu structure of the Control Properties after double clicking on any given object. The selections of Global Settings, position/size, function, text, frame, background, image, could be made more easily accessible by having them all on one page, instead of having to click through several layered windows.

Hope this helps,

Mike

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:01:03 AM by mikep_95133 »

Offline RandomAccess

•  96 96
  • SubSurface
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 12:25:01 PM »
Hi Mike,

The selections of Global Settings, position/size, function, text, frame,
background, image, could be made more easily accessible by having
them all on one page, instead of having to click through several layered windows.

There are NO "layered" windows on the properties screen.
The properties are "grouped".  They are then filtered further by the context of the selection.
So,  if you select a button,  only properties appropriate for a button are displayed.
If they were "truly" layered,  then things would be a thousand times worse.

Although it is not obvious to end users,  if I were to display absolutely all properties that
exist for all items in the system,  then you'd need the entire the screen and you would not
be able to see your work underneath. 

Remember that my editor has components that MACH does not,  and so there exist additional properties in
order to support these components.  On top of this,  once I incorporate my Metallica rendering
engine into the editor,  there will be many more new components and properties.  I have to always think
about the future,  otherwise the editor can become a huge "difficult to use", monster.

In any case,  I will be looking at totally replacing the properties editor also, 
as I think I can come up with something far more convenient.

Regards

Stan