Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:41:07 AM

Author Topic: Stepper Homing Issue  (Read 6343 times)

Offline eskay

•  13 13
    • View Profile
Stepper Homing Issue
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:25:30 PM »
Gentlemen, Newb here and and advice is required.   I've recently wrapped up a retrofit of an EMCO PC 50 Mill with new steppers, Smoothstepper, Gecko and Mach3.

I've got Y & Z axis manually actuating and homing perfectly.

The X axis, under repeated manual actuation (left/left/left) will intermittently change direction.   Likewise manually actuating in the right direction multiple times the stepper intermitently reverses direction.   Changing around motor leads moves the problem around.

When Mach tries to Home in the X axis it sit's and growls....

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Stepper Homing Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »
Can you attach your xml and I will see if your config is ok.
Hood

Offline eskay

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
Sorry, I've had to back up into a PC to get this thing running after years of freedom from Bill.... what do you mean by XML file...?

Offline eskay

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
OK, does this work?

Thanks!

Offline eskay

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
Any Thoughts?   How is the weather in Scotland?!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
Sorry completely missed your reply, not sure how.
Will look at the xml in a bit but just wondering if you could clarify what you are meaning by
The X axis, under repeated manual actuation (left/left/left) will intermittently change direction.   Likewise manually actuating in the right direction multiple times the stepper intermitently reverses direction.   Changing around motor leads moves the problem around.
Are you meanng when you jog the axis via the keyboard it usually works fine but occasionally will go the wrong way?
Also changing round stepper wire bit, are you meaning tyou physically change the wires from one stepper to another and the problem follows the motor?

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »
Ok dont see anything wrong in your xml except in the SS config you have very high settings for the filtering on MPG and Miscellaneous. Not sure if that could cause a problem but try setting it to 1.43 instead of the 1000 you have.
Can you try the jogging via the tab screen using your mouse and see if it still happens please.
Hood

Offline eskay

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:36:57 AM »
Good Morning Hood,   Actuating the X axis by mouse or keyboard generates random directions changes.    For example if you repeatedly press X+ you get random direction changes.    Yes,  I moved the pigtail to the Y axis and the problem remained.

Scott   

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »
Scott, this happened to me at one point and it turned out that 2 of my stepper motor wires were just barely touching each other inside the connector housing, creating a short. I would recheck the wiring on your connector/cable.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline eskay

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
I'll double check...at first I thought it was my dodgy soldering so I sacrificed a db9 cable and spliced into it to eliminate the potential for the problem...Thanks