Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:51:54 AM

Author Topic: need help hooking up spindle  (Read 5068 times)

need help hooking up spindle
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »
Hi there I got an older cnc machine running a dos based program at an auction. It is a D&M mill 4 from a tech school. I am in the middle of updating it to run mach 3.

I have buillt my own cnc router but have not had any expirence with wiring up a spindle to the break out board, or configuring it in mach 3.

The board we are going to use is a Probotix pbx-2 b.o.b. what ports and pins should I use for this?

I have three wires I need to hook up to the bob for the spindle to run. One wire is the max, another wire is the min, and the last wire appears to be a on/off/ direction? I am not really sure because I can't find any schematics for this board.

If anyone can help me get these signal wires hooked up to the pbx-2 board and tell me how to configure mach 3's ports and pins for the spindle I would be very grateful for your expertise.

A Gentelman just ask me what kind of VFD I was using. Please note that the spindle says, "110v dc" so I do not believe it requires one.

Also would like to hear from anyone who has the D&M mill 4 cnc setup and how they updated it

Thank You and have a great day.

Alonzo
Re: need help hooking up spindle
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:10:25 PM »
I was looking in the mach 3 pdf user doc and found under the head 5.5.5.3  where it discusses the step and direction spindle control. do I hook up the min and max into the step ports and the ref input into the direction port?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »
You really need to contact probotix to see  if it has spindle control functions and if so how to connect. It all depends on what type of spindle control it uses as Mach can be set up several ways depending on hardware used.
Hood
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:44:24 PM by Chaoticone »
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »
I have been on the phone with probotix several times today. The man could not tell me how to hook up these wires. He reffered me to cnc zone to buy a new motor board the gentleman at cnczone told me that the probotix board was a  bad choice and said I should buy one of his. I would but I have already got the new breakout board sitting here.

Before I go and buy another motor board or breakout board I am going to start randomly hooking up wires. . . Then when I see smoke bellowing from the machine I can justify buying more parts. :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 02:47:36 AM »
Ah ok I think I see, that board in the pic is the spindle controller that came with the mill?
Is there any info on it?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:17:12 AM »
yep the only wires I need to hook up is the three that I have my finger on. the only information I can find on the board is it is a puma board. I havn't had much luck finding any more information on it.

I would spring for the new motor board but I am afraid that it will not work. the board that cnc4pc uses 10 volts total, while the motor on the cnc machine is  rated for 110v dc.  The board reccomended to me from probotix tech is here, " http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=58 ".

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
Ok even if you get the CNC4PC board you will still need the controller shown in your first pic.
What the CNC4PC board is doing is converting PWM from Mach into 0-10v voltage that you can then put into your control board which then amplifies the output voltage to suit.
You will almost certainly need something like the CNC4PC board to go between Mach and your controller unless the Probotix has that on board already? If you can  take a pic of the connections so that any screen printing can be seen then maybe I can make a more informed reply.
Hood.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
Just looked and the CNC4PC board linked to takes Step signals and converts to 0-10v rather than the PWM as I mentioned above but its the same difference as far as your problem is concerned.
Hood