Hello Guest it is November 21, 2019, 01:24:26 PM

Author Topic: Setting up Problem  (Read 3304 times)

Setting up Problem
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »
Hi,
I'm not new to Mach3, & had been successful in installing & configure Mach3 a couple of times  in the pass.

I am encoutering a really weird behavior, can't really tell if it is a Mach3 problem, BOB problem or wiring problem.

Here's the scenario.
Installed Mach3, ran the speed test, all are well. Created custom screen, & started to go about configurating the motor & I/O
Config>Ports & pins , check #port 1, select 25khz. Unchecked everything else
Config>Ports & pins>motor outputs, plug in all the motor pins correctly, enable the x,y,z axis
Config>Motor tuning, "step per"=26.525, Velocity=3000, Acceleration 300. on all axis.
#ps, I'm using Module 1.0 rack & pinion. pinion gear is 24 tooth. 10 microsteps. step per=200x10/(24pi)=26.525
Restart Mach3
press arrow key-> DRO moved, motor no response,
press Pgup, Pgdn-> DRO moved, motor no response

I then test the bob by using the spindle toggle in the dianostic screen, LED on BOB terminals & all the output behaved accordingly.

I then fiddleing will all the check boxes & found out that the motor only response when the  MaxCL box is checked. but in a strange way.
In the MaxCL mode, disregard of which terninals between 4,5,6,7,8,9 I plug in the stepper motor driver input, the same motor will move only in the same direction when I press the same key...
Also, the travel is only 1/4 of what it is expected. exactly 1/4

I'd swapped PC, swapped BOB, swap LPT cable. & nothing works for me when MaxCL was unchecked...

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,008 8,008
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Re: Setting up Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:01:07 AM »
Hi Khinhaw,

It is my understanding that unless you are using a Maxnc machine controller then you should forget about checking this mode in the setup (it allocates its own pin configuration irrespective of what you have set in ports & pins).

Try using Sherline 1/2 pulse mode and see if that helps.

Also check the output voltage on one of your LPT 'direction' pins to see if it is approx. 0 / 5 Volts as opposed to 0 / 3.3 Volts.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:28:18 AM »
I tried Sherline 1/2 pulse mode & motor remained un-responsive. but DRO moved.

I switched to Maxnc mode again, (this is the only time when the BOB's motor pin actually produce any sort of signal.) & I get about 3V from DIR & STEP pins, I type in G0 x2000000 to send some pulses for testing on X axis motor pins on the BOB

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,008 8,008
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:52:19 AM »
Hi Khinhaw,

Sorry if I did not explain properly. If you are not using a Maxnc controller then DO NOT use Maxnc mode. You will just be wasting your time and achieve no useful results.

Measure the voltage on your X Axis 'direction' pin at the LPT output. Moving the X Axis in one direction should produce 5 Volts then moving the same axis in the other direction should produce 0 Volts. If you only get 3.3 Volts here then it may not be sufficient to drive your BOB so fitting a 5 Volt output Parallel Port card may be the way forward.

Have you tried changing the Active Low / Active High settings for your 'Step' pins ??

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:43:55 AM »
Tweakie.CNC, thanks for the heads up. the X-DIR measures 4.3V on my DMM. MaxCL un-checked
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:03:20 AM »
Sorry, both directions measures 4.3V on the LPT pins

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,008 8,008
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 05:18:03 AM »
If your meter is connected between the correct X Axis 'direction' pin (whatever it is) and computer GND then the voltage should change between your 4.3V and 0V (approx.) when you move the X Axis in opposite directions. This should occur irrespective of anything else connected.

So try closing Mach3, disconnecting the CNC machine from the PC then restart Mach3, check your ports & pins configuration again and measure the voltage on your X Axis direction pin at your LPT cable. Does it now change voltage level when you jog the X Axis ??

Tweakie.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »
Tweakie.cnc.
Done all that & the pin remains 4.2V
my pin2 isX-DIR, pin4 is Y-DIR, when I run G0 X20000Y20000, then G0X-20000Y-20000 the voltage reading remains at 4.3V
DMM probe +ve at Pin 2 or 4, COM pin ar DB25 25pin

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  8,008 8,008
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:28:16 AM »
That whittles it down a bit then - some possibilities areā€¦

A bad installation of Mach3
A damaged parallel port or LPT cable.
Incorrect configuration of the Ports and Pins within Mach3.

Are you using Win XP ??

Tweakie.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Re installed Mach3 many time.

Swap a few LPT cables, even bought new ones for the purpose.

I wouldn't know for sure, but I checked the port & pins configuration, Even strip it down to only the motors & Charge-pump. yet no good.

I'm using XP. I even swap PC... one which proven working on another machine...