Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:04:17 AM

Author Topic: Boss 9 retrofit querry  (Read 10573 times)

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
Boss 9 retrofit querry
« on: January 22, 2007, 08:58:08 AM »
Is anyone working on a Bridgeport Boss 9  R2E2 to Mach retrofit. Looks Like I will be travelling down that Path pretty soon. wondered if anyone else is working on one of these beast's.

Happy Hunting
archie =) =) =) 
Facebook archies machine

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
Re: Boss 9 retrofit querry
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
oops Should read Bridgeport boss 9 R2E4
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:30:29 PM »
Yup :)
I looked at one just the other day... I was thinking about the Teknix Tek 20's for the next one that I work on. The drives Ihave used in the past are AMC Digiflex drives... they are about 750.00 each but I have had good luck with them in the past.
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »
Hi, Archie

I have an R2E4, it's wired 440 volts now, need to re-do the x-former for 220.

If your servo boards and power supply are in good shape, I think there + - 10 volt control,  there are several step-dir to +-10 volt boards out

there that will work.

If not ther Rutex makes some Hi-volt boards to replace your servo boards.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »
hi, i have a r2e4 retrofit almost completed.i created a control panel to fit in the original opening and replaced the old crt monitor with a 12" touch screen lcd.all this is in the original control enclosure.i used rutex 2020 drives. stripped out all the bsp board , fmdc,drives.kept the power supply. enclosure now holds drives, cnc4pc parallel port card, safety charge pump.all the limit switches are  24vdc powered and interfaced with parallel port card with 24vdc to 5vdc circuit from cncbuildingblocks.com. there is a mpg from rogersmachine on the control panel. i will post pics when complete, a few more days.just have to tidy up wire runs,number them,etc.   

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »
najnielkp,
I  will be waiting for the photo's. that Is spretty much what I want to do. except maybe use a Grex in place of the Breakout board. Thanks a bunch
archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 08:10:37 PM »
here is my lcd install into the existing control panel of a r2e4 boss 9.it is a 12.1 elo touchscreen that i stripped out of its case. the mach 3 screenset is set to 800x600.the control panel has from left, estop, rutex drive reset,contactor for drive power,feed hold, selector for manual or auto spindle,forward reverse selector for spindle, usb for jump drive, spindle speed up down, bezel for digital readout for spindle speed.

green buttons are x y z axis selection for manual pulse generator. push button beside green buttons is for increment selection for the mpg. keyboard has small trackball.

the fibreglass enclosure at the monitor has to be trimmed a little for the screen width. the touch screen works very well, even with it only being 800x600.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 10:12:31 AM »
Yup :)
I looked at one just the other day... I was thinking about the Teknix Tek 20's for the next one that I work on. The drives Ihave used in the past are AMC Digiflex drives... they are about 750.00 each but I have had good luck with them in the past.

Brian, what are the advantages of using these more expensive drives.
Why not just Gecko or Rutex drives?
The drive specs for the Tek 10's are practically identical to the less expensive
counterparts.  The gecko's are big enough to drive any Bridgeport knee
mill that was made, of course providing the servo is a proper match to
the Gecko. 

Scott

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:00:55 PM by polaraligned »

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:48:27 AM »
here is my lcd install into the existing control panel of a r2e4 boss 9.it is a 12.1 elo touchscreen that i stripped out of its case. the mach 3 screenset is set to 800x600.the control panel has from left, estop, rutex drive reset,contactor for drive power,feed hold, selector for manual or auto spindle,forward reverse selector for spindle, usb for jump drive, spindle speed up down, bezel for digital readout for spindle speed.

green buttons are x y z axis selection for manual pulse generator. push button beside green buttons is for increment selection for the mpg. keyboard has small trackball.

the fibreglass enclosure at the monitor has to be trimmed a little for the screen width. the touch screen works very well, even with it only being 800x600.

That Is one fine looking control I only hope that My control looks half as good. do you have any photo's of the rest of the retrofit. and what was left after you ripped out all of the unused stuff. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to post.
archie =) =) =)
(Retrofitting a R2E4)
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:27:58 PM »
hi, in the drives electronics enclosure removed fdmc, ezio , bsp,  the racking for them and the complete drive assembly.    the only thing left is the 24 volt transformer,capacitor, the 4 24vdc  relays . 1 of these relays is used for controlling dc power to the rutex servo drives.it switches on off a 3 pole contactor.my contactor is 110v coil as i had it already.  the old contactors could be used, mine were a bit buzzy for my liking.  depending on the drives you use , the existing capacitors and rectifiers could be reused. i had to change to higher capacitance.the existing fuse blocks and terminal strips are still in. i also removed the eaf board in the transformer cabinet.