Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:25:55 PM

Author Topic: Need help with two problems  (Read 3342 times)

Need help with two problems
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:06 PM »
Hi, I have a 3 axis router with mach 3 and a Gecko 540 board, I have it hooked up with all motors turning correctly etc. what I cannot figure out is when I hit reference all, the motors turn very slowly with a loud growl, when jogging individually they work fine. The other problem I am having is when I try to access the automatic step button to set up the motors, it will not come up so I can enter the axis and distance.
Would sure appreciate any help you can offer.
Thank you
Terry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with two problems
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »
Can you attach your xml and I will see how it behaves here.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply here is hopefully my xml file.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »
You dont have any Home switches enabled in that xml so if you press RefAll the machine coords should just zero and you should not get axis movement.
Tried the Ste Steps button and it worked fine here, could it be popping up behind the screen? Have a look on the task bar to see if it is there.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
Thanks for taking the time with me, I think all my problems seem to be in the ports and pins settings for the different axis, when I call for ref all, the motors do move but very slowly with a low growling sound. When I manually activate the switches in the diagnostic screen I get all kinds of different results, one home switch will lite two motor leds and one limit, another will  not lite any leds. I have all limit switches hooked together and wired to one input on the Gecko, the three homing switches are wired independently one to each of remaining three inputs on the Gecko. I had this setup working perfectly with a Hobbycnc board until something went with the board, hence the upgrade to Gecko.
Terry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:17:35 PM »
Sounds like you attached the wrong xml then as you dont have any limits or homes enabled in that xml.
To make sure it is the correct one look at the name of the profile on the Mach screen (lower right) and find a file with that name and the xml extension in the main Mach3 folder.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
Thanks Hood, I am so confused and screwed up I am going to remove Mach, reload and start over, when I purchased the Gecko drive it was shipped with a cd with an updated xml file on it, instructions said to rename the old xml mill file and download new one. I did that but somehow ended up with three mill xml files.
Thanks again for your help, will truck on.
Terry