Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:40:04 AM

Author Topic: Variable speed drive for mill spindle mach3 control  (Read 8373 times)

Variable speed drive for mill spindle mach3 control
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
Is there anything special I need from a VSD for Mach3 to control it?  I want to get the VSD so I can start wiring up the mill to do one quick job which only needs manual, but I want to get the right one that can then be re-wired for Mach.

Thanks
Re: Variable speed drive for mill spindle mach3 control
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »
Are you planning to use a VFD for an AC motor or a DC motor with a speed controller (KB, Minarik, etc.)? 

If it's the latter, I recently installed a KBIC-120 DC speed contol and CNC4PC C11 multifunction B.O.B. with 0-10V analog output and had lots of problems with isolation between them.  Had to use a KBSI-240D Signal Isolator to get it to work.  Works great now.  Mach controls the rpm very close across the range and is dead-solid..
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
You can stop/start no problem with just relays to control the VFD but if you want to control spindle speed yo will need a spindle controller as well.
I just recently got one from Peter Homann so I can control an analogue servo for my spindle, it was a breeze to set up and is very linear in its output, definitely a quality product.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
I just recently got one from Peter Homann so I can control an analogue servo for my spindle, it was a breeze to set up and is very linear in its output, definitely a quality product.
...and doesn't have isolation issues either if memory serves.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »
The one I got from Peter was one he no longer sells, Step/Dir to analogue. The controller I was using it with (Scorpion) does not have the capability to output PWM so I needed the Step/Dir one and Peter kindly offered to make one up specially for me :)
It was extremely easy to set up as mentioned and works extremely well.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:49:56 AM »
Sorry chaps, I didn't give all the information - having a bad time at present!

The VFD is for my Bridgeport clone.  I have a dual voltage 3-phase AC motor, and a single phase supply to the machine.  My intention is to use Mach3 to control the speed, not just on/off/rev, using as you say a spindle controller, I just need to get the right VFD to be able to do this!

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
Any VFD should be capable of that as any I have seen can be controlled from a potentiometer so all you need to do is input to the pot terminals.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:02:33 AM »
diycnc do a 0-10v isolated card for this.

http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/spindle_boards.html
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
Any VFD should be capable of that as any I have seen can be controlled from a potentiometer so all you need to do is input to the pot terminals.
Hood

All the ones I'm looking at at present don't have the old rotary Pot, but up and down arrow keys.  Would they function in the same way, or is this something I need to be aware of?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
They will have the option to connect an external pot or have a 0 to 10v input. You will just select that you want external speed control in the VFD's parameters.
Hood