Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:00:24 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and G540 soft limit issues  (Read 2838 times)

Mach 3 and G540 soft limit issues
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:35:55 AM »
Hi  I am new to the whole concept of Cnc and machining in general. I am determined to get this mill operating. I believe my problems can be easily solved but I am just missing the answers. Here are a list of my issues and maybe some of you could give me some much needed advise.
I have a G540 with Mach 3 setup. I am running windows vista. My driver test came out excellent so I assume patch is installed correctly.
I have Cnc fusion deluxe kit for the SX3 and have already over run the Y axes and tore up the ball nut. I have another on the way but I need to get my Cnc programmed before I do it again. 
I would send you my file but not sure how to do that either. Maybe that could be the first you advise me on.
I believe all ports and pins are fine but I am not getting my limits right. I Am trying to use one switch per axes. I have tried several scenarios with no result. I can't figure out how to reference Mach to machine location. When I "Reference Home" Z moves away from limit switch. I have my soft max at 19" and min at 0" for X and 6.25" max and 0" min. My Z is 0 max and -19" min. Switches are tripped at Y toward me, X is to the right and Zall the way to the top.
Limits are wired individual at ports 1 for X  and 2 for Y and 3 for the Z coming out of the 540. Do these need to be wired together then to one port on G540?
I think I may be getting ahead of myself by setting limits before I completely understand the Mach system but just want to get the machine safe before I go any further.
Thanks ahead for any help.
Steve
Re: Mach 3 and G540 soft limit issues
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »
Another issue is that I was told that I needed a smooth stepper and so I purchased one. Then told I did not need it. ????? Like I said my driver test run excellent!

andrewm

Re: Mach 3 and G540 soft limit issues
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
You seem to be all over the place on problems, so I recommend you read the manuals and watch the tutorial videos we offer on the website, they should shed light on most if not all of your problems/questions.

If you still have trouble once you watch the tutorials then please contact me via email(linked under my username on the left) and I will help you through it.

-Andrew
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:15:54 PM by AndrewM »