Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:49:52 PM

Author Topic: Noob question: Changing cutting start location  (Read 2734 times)

Noob question: Changing cutting start location
« on: September 23, 2012, 07:17:15 AM »
Hey all,

Not sure if this is a Mach or CamBam question, but I figured this would be the best place to start.  I have a part modeled in CamBam that I want to leave where it is (see picture).  As expected, the g-code will generate the start location as the stock 0,0 location and the head has to move all the way over to the part.  I don't want to cut the part where it is, I want the part to start cutting close to 0,0 in the stock piece to save material.  How do I tell the machine that I want to do this?  Is is something I do in Mach?  ???

Edit: note, I realize I can quickly move the part I want cut down to 0,0 in CamBam, but I want to leave it where it is as it's reference to the larger outline part needs to be maintained.  Moving it back-and-forth (using undo for example) is something I'd prefer not to do.   Also note that the part I am cutting is only the part with the 3 holes in it. The outer part is for reference purposes. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:19:49 AM by deejayspinz »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question: Changing cutting start location
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:18 AM »
Have a look at using offsets or fixtures in the Mach Manual.
RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
OK if you are only cutting the part out and NOT the outline as well then what is the difference. Make a copy of the drawing then MOVE the 0,0 in the drawing to where you want it.  It would take about 60 seconds.  Then recam to have a gcode file like you want.

THen you still have the original drawing AND the as cut version as well.

Just a thought (;-)TP

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »
Thx for the suggestions.  Got the answer on the CamBam forums:

"Right click on a 'Part' or the 'Machining' object in the drawing tree, then select 'Set Machining Origin'.  Click on the drawing.  This will then be the 0,0 point for all machining operations in that part (or all parts if set in the Machining object)."