Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:32:11 AM

Author Topic: RAPID TO STOP AT A WHOLE NUMBER (How To)  (Read 3160 times)

RAPID TO STOP AT A WHOLE NUMBER (How To)
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:25:36 AM »
Hi does anyone know a way to make a manual rapid jog move always stop at a whole number?

eg stop at 120.000 instesd of 120.365 etc.

Cheers Al

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: RAPID TO STOP AT A WHOLE NUMBER (How To)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
Can you explain some more?
To start i am guessing that you command a rapid move for some distance and the distance moved is not correct ........
as displayed in the dro ...or measured distance as compared to DRO....or are you using something else to implement the move ...
steppers or servos.....

RICH
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:51:51 AM »
Hi Rich,

What I'm asking about is when jogging the machine manually.

So say you hit one of the arrow keys on your keyboard to jog the machine it will stop when you take your finger off.
It might stop at say 150.184
What I would like to do is have it continue to next whole number before stopping.
So it would continue on to 151.000

hope this makes sense.

Any Ideas ?
Cheers Al
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »
Don't know if it would work unless I tried it, but I'm thinking a custom jog button that when pressed triggers the OEM jog function, but then when released, looks at the current position compared the next highest or lowest whole number and ramps the jog speed down and stops at the target number.  You can change the jog speed, just don't know if you can do it programatically and on the fly.  You'd have to ramp from 100% down to 0 in a for loop.   What you'd be doing is decelerating to a target point. 

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
I don't think that can work with mach3.

You can jog a present distance with each touch(step mode)  BUT not  a random rounded up stop point.

That function would have to involve the planner to be able to deaccel to a known point.

Now you can use the MDI to GO to a point.

The normal buttons do not HAVE a 2 part sense they only work on the release of the button (;-) IF only it did.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Hal

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
I have never seen a cnc machine do that. The whole numbers are better serve by using MDI. once you have set your zero points, MDI is the quick way to go.

This is IMHO

Hal
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »

That function would have to involve the planner to be able to deaccel to a known point.

If you can change the jog speed on the fly, then you can write your own planner.  You have a current position (123.654) and a known point (124.000).  All you have to do is write a loop to decell and stop at the known point.

If I really wanted to pursue something like this, I'd write a simple for loop and see if you can decell the jog speed on the fly. (Hint for the OP) :)