Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:00:41 PM

Author Topic: laser pulsing instead of cutting a solid line  (Read 2843 times)

laser pulsing instead of cutting a solid line
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
Hi All

Just a quick question.
I have my laser  running now, but the beam pulses instead of running constantly. The laser meter and tube confirm the pulsing. Its like switching on and off all the time. The test cut now show the dots and not a solid cut. ???
Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanx
Andre

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: laser pulsing instead of cutting a solid line
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
Hi Andre,

Perhaps some more details of exactly how you have your laser connected and configured in Mach3 would be helpful.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »
BAD NEWS
My laser tube cracked yesterday after another test run. I will not be replacing the tube due to high shipping and tube costs.

I have been working on another idea to convert the laser to run a spindle instead. This should work ok for light wood and plastics.
At least now i dont have to worry bout the speed and beam switching on and off on time. :-)

I know that belts are not the way to go on a cnc machine unless its a laser, but i have no other use for the machine and it will be a paper weight if i dont try something else.

Thanx
Andre

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
 :(  Sorry to hear that Andre.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
If it's any encouragement, I just purchased a new laser tube from China. The total cost including shipping and UK import tax was £155 UKP.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »
The laser tube i need is a 100Watt unit, and they are more expensive than those smaller one`s, but even if i can get it at a good price, they way too fragile and my knowledge on the tube and all that goes with it is very limited.

The tube cracked at the HV side and is causing and internal arc. The water coolers was running at full on , but i think the beam was just not liking the S1000 too much and the heat cracked the tube. This was already my 2nd tube ...the 1st one that came with the machine also just worked for 2 months before it died. Then the electronics died and i was left with a tube, that cracked 2 days ago.

No guys, this is the end of the road...it was nice while it lasted. I will revert to the brushless spindle i had in mind. This is the only option left, and at least i can make the machine usefull again instead of making it a big paper weight.

I will post pics as i`m sure someone will want to see what i`m thinking of doing.

THX again
andre