Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:12:17 PM

Author Topic: Motor stutters  (Read 2354 times)

Motor stutters
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »
I'm running a 2140 ethernet controller w/ mach3 on Windows 7, controlling a 3 axis router.

When running programs with lots of short G1 moves (i.e. the way some CAM programs divide 3d arcs) my feed rate is limited to maybe 75 IPM, running faster causes alarming-sounding stuttering (i.e. sudden full motor stops in mid-move).  I tried adjusting both the MachEx buffer and the Queue Buffer to larger (the queue is currently at 100, the machex at 250) and it does take a long time (several seconds) for the machine to stop if I hit feed hold, so I assume there is a fairly large buffer, but still there is crazy stuttering when it gets to portions of the code with a lot of short moves.  Longer moves do need pose a problem at all. 

CV is enabled, dist tolerance is at 250, (what are the units of this anyway?)

Setting the "look ahead lines" to larger (i.e. >100) seems to make the problem worse, setting it small (i.e. 20) produces smooth controlled stops in mid-cut, then it resumes, then cuts, then stops again, etc etc. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Motor stutters
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
Check and see if you can increase your Ethernet card's transmit buffers.  A lot of the new computers are coming out with cheesy settings on the transmit side (Expecting more downloads than uploads, apparently).  I had the same thing happen on my D2700 Atom board.  Also, make sure that "Interrupt Moderation" is turned off, if you have such a setting. 

Simply put, what you are experiencing is simply not being able to send data to the Galil fast enough.

Steve