Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:40:20 PM

Author Topic: Meshcam  (Read 6505 times)

Meshcam
« on: September 16, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »
Hello All
Anyone using mesh cam with Mach 3 any problems with it how hard is the learning curve and is it a 3D or 2.5 D program looking at the web site they list several different programs are all of them needed to machine a part Thanks for any advice.

Rg's
Dennis 
Re: Meshcam
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »
Oh one other question dose the program support iges files well thanks.

Dennis

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »
Dennis,
I use MeshCam and will admit I'm no expert on it.  You can use it to generate code for 3D or 2D parts.  The code generation is good and the learning curve is rather easy. Also use CutViewer Mill along with it. A stl file of the 3D part is created in CAD and then used by MeshCam to generate the code. Haven't used it for 2d cutting as I have other options, but it can use a dxf. Like any software one needs to play with it.

Watch the videos on the site to get a flavor of how it can be used.
Don't recall if V5 made more import files available. Should be able to find that on the site .

BTW, how did you make out with Dolphin Lathe?

RICH
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:55:41 PM by RICH »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »
MeshCAM is very easy to use imo.
It's mainly a 3D program, but it can work well with some 2D parts. http://www.grzsoftware.com/users/2d/

No, it won't work with iges files. It works with some .dxf files, but mainly .stl files
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:21:56 PM »
Rich/ Ger21
Thanks for the reply and info on mesh cam i am no longer working and price is a priority so i am looking at cam programs for cost and functionality i want something that's not going to take for ever to learn and works just doing personal hobby thing's now.
 Rich i have not made up my mind on Dolphin yet but i can't find anything else either.

Rg's
Dennis

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
but i can't find anything else either
You got it Dennis, as there is not much out there worth a darn for the lathe as a package. I waited over four years and nothing came to be for the lathe other than LT and that is limited.

I won't try to sell you on MeshCam, but if one can do whatever they want in 3D CAD and generate a stl file, then MeshCam can generate the code for it.  It fit the price and my needs for now and into the future.

RICH
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:19:47 AM »
I use Meshcam and find it good and easy to learn.

Brian
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »
Thanks guys it looks like a very good program but i tried to take one of my Iges files and convert it to a Stl and a DXF file then import it into mesh cam and it didn't work well at all i wish the program could take an Iges file it would fit the book as far as price and function.
 As for the lathe program i have a limited program that works a little better then LT right now i have to do a little work around with the code but for what i am doing i don't know that i need a complex program right now.

Rg's
Dennis
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »
Hi Guys
I finally got a file transferred from an Iges to an STL to use in meshcam so now that i have it working i am finding a couple of problems first one is when using the program in MM everything that is displayed on the screen is over sized but the part looks correct but if i use inch format it's fine i was wondering if i bring the file into mesh cam with it in inch and process the file would mach change it into mm scale on the machine as the machine is set up in MM.
 next if i want to do a top and bottom cut would the part have to be viewed on screen in that way or dose Meshcam see the bottom of the part and process the file accordingly same with the top view.
 rg's
Dennis