Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:42:40 PM

Author Topic: Which version of 7 for Mach3? Home? Pro? Ultimate? 32 bit? 64 bit?  (Read 10692 times)

Which version of 7 for Mach3? Home? Pro? Ultimate? 32 bit? 64 bit?
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
My XP machine is dying. I don't have the smarts to put a new machine together that'll run XP. So I guess that means I need to get a 7 machine. I've read the forums about 7, and there doesn't seem to be any definite answers.

So, what's my best chance? If I had to guess, I'd say it's 7 Pro 32 bit.

Thoughts???

Thanks,
Chris
Re: Which version of 7 for Mach3? Home? Pro? Ultimate? 32 bit? 64 bit?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »
Lots of questions along this line, but not a lot of definitive answers. There's a used 'puter place not too far from me. If they have a used Windows 7 machine, I'll give it a go and post my results here. Maybe that'll help somebody else.

Chris

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
COuld you not reload the XP onto the new puter ???

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »
COuld you not reload the XP onto the new puter ???

Just a thought, (;-) TP

I'm told, by smarter than me computer people, that the problem with loading XP on to a new 'puter is getting XP drivers for the all new hardware. Since XP is so old, it's not likely I'd be able to find drivers.

Chris

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
You could simply have the Puter store build you a new puter with older components that still support XP.

Memory not a problem
LPT ports not a problem
Hard drive not a problem.
Video not a problem
Monitor not a problem.

Just a thought, (;-)TP
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
I just put XP on a new computer build..  no problems with drivers..  Many component mfg's still support XP and provide drivers.  E.g the Asus CD I got for the mobo, had XP drivers for all the components (built in video, lan, parallel port, chipset etc).  I did not need to go searching for anything and purposely got this mobo as it had video, lan and a parallel port on board.  Don't need anything fancy to run a CNC and all these are working great.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'll look into building one, or having one built. I've spent some time at Newegg looking at components, but quickly became overwhelmed at all the choices. I'm not well versed in computer hardware, so I'll enlist some help checking on stuff. I have several XP licenses, so I wouldn't need to buy an OS if I built one.

Thanks!
Chris

andrewm

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
You could simply have the Puter store build you a new puter with older components that still support XP.

Memory not a problem
LPT ports not a problem
Hard drive not a problem.
Video not a problem
Monitor not a problem.

Just a thought, (;-)TP

Computer Store? whats that!? :p

As far as I know the versions have no issues but if you wish to use Parallel Port then you'll need 32bit OS, which will restrict your RAM amount...not that Mach3 needs a load of RAM.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
I ended up with a new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine with Intel parts for just under $400. 3GHz - 4GB - 1TB HDD - CD/DVD burner... I couldn't build one for that. My controller is USB connected, so I don't have the Parallel port issue. I'll get Mach3 installed and get it tested this week. I have a 14 day no-questions-asked return option if for some reason it doesn't work out.

Thanks!
Chris

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 08:03:20 AM »
FWIW, I do all of my development work on a Win7 pro 64 bit machine. It runs MACH fine and the brains, macros, screen macros and serial modbus all work fine  . .  so far as I can tell.

Caveat: I do NOT do any output from this machine, so I cannot speak to smoothstepper, or other external motion controllers that must be used since the PP driver does not work with 64 bit OS.

I have just started messing with PoKeys and it seems to work fine with 64 bit as well.