Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 12:33:47 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Checking in and saying Hello  (Read 3015 times)

Newbie Checking in and saying Hello
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:01:35 AM »
Hello,

Im Andy from the UK and ive just purchased a Denford Trimac VMC cnc mill with 6 station ATC, the machine has been fulled converted to Mach3.

ive been milling for a couple of years now on a manual mill, i also have a sealey sm25 which is just an eagle mill.

so generally i understand milling very well i have all the tooling needed i jsut need to learn G-code. i understand XYZ + and -, i understand coordinates as my manual mill is fully dro'ed up and i do all my drawings in AUTOCAD. but its the bits inbetween setting the coordinates im struggling with.

i have a list of all the codes like G00 and m6 etc...

can anyone point me in the right direction for actually writing the correct G-code?

thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Checking in and saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:10:24 AM »
andy,
I would recommend CNC Programming Handbook by Peter Smid.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:12:26 AM »
ok thanks, is there nothing online thats of any use?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:58:59 AM »
You can start searching the internet and will find all kinds of info. You end up spending more time looking than learning in
my opinion. I must also add that there are different "dialects" of gcode some are propriatory and not all are recognized by
different controllers.

The book gives a user a solid basis on fundamentals and expalins in detail all the gcode. Thus you have  a single source from a recognized
expert on the subject matter.

RICH

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »
ok thanks, will do soem web and ebay searching for the book.

does it give an idea of how to lay the code out? what needs to go first and just general order???

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:45 AM »
The book is very comprehensive.
RICH
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
The more you look on-line, the more you find. And, the more confusing it all gets. This book sounds like a good basis to learn and not letting information overload get the best of you. I've been there, done that! Almost ready to give up, I've been sticking to the Mach3 tutorials and I'll definitely check out this book.