Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:46:33 PM

Author Topic: PCIE parallel port address  (Read 3405 times)

PCIE parallel port address
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »
Hi,

I have a MacPro desktop running Parallels 7 so that I can use Windows 7 - 32 bit. The problem is that I do not have a "Ports" row under Device manager. How do I find the address of my PCIE parallel card?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: PCIE parallel port address
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:55:48 AM »
I dont know anything about parallels 7 but just did a quick google and it would seem to be something to allow you to use Windows on a Mac. If it is like a virtual computer then you are not going to make that happen as Mach needs to take over the computer fully to be able to use the parallel port. You may get away with using one of the external controllers but then again maybe you wont so easiest would just be to get yourself a desktop dedicated to running windows and Mach.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:59 AM »
I can also boot up using what's called Boot Camp, which is different from Parallels in that it boots up exactly like Windows does on any other machine. But since I'm using a PCIE card, it's still not the default port address. How would you normally find the address of a PCIE parallel card?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:18:09 AM »
I would say you are wasting your time, Mach needs Windows to be in complete control of the hardware so that the Mach driver can itself take over complete control of the timing, as Windows does not run properly on a Mac then if it works I will be extremely surprised.
Anyway since you are  obviously determined to try  here is where you will get the info,

Start
All Programmes
Accessories
System Tools
System Information
Components
Ports
Parallel.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »
So i'm pretty sure the address is "0x4000". If i enter this, my controller box goes from ready to alarm, and i can get some intermittent functionality out of my Estop button. When using the autotune feature, do i need to make a connection for it to detect the pin, or do i need to send a voltage across the pin? I'm trying to determine if i'm talking to it by triggering the Estop and having it tell me what pin i'm using, but it's jumping around between pin 10, 11 and 15. 15 being the correct pin.