Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:00:27 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 VS Other motion controller for stability  (Read 14439 times)

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 VS Other motion controller for stability
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 06:33:39 AM »
I live in Florida and I can tell you without a doubt heat plays a big part of Machs (computer) stability. During the cooler months no problems. But as soon as it gets warm things can get a little funky. I now have an air conditioned shop (yea) and no longer see any glitches or hangs.

Derek

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 07:30:47 AM »
Sorry cant help with BTU etc as I have never had to even think about things like that with living here, antifreeze in coolant is more the type of things I have t worry about ;D

Having a VFD right next to stepper drives etc is not the best idea but looks like a Mitsubishi so likely will not throw out as much noise as the Chinese ones.
Notice you dont have any of  your wiring shielded, might be an idea to do that if you can especially as you are likely talking 5v signalling in a lot of them.
Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »
The benefits of a chilled cooling system (if any) have to be weighed against its increased complexity. I used to work on automated welding and cutting machines which is a very hot/dirty environment. The number of times we had to use chilled cooling was very, very small though. Typically it was only where there was a device in very close proximity to a heat source, like having a laser tracking system near the welding torch. As has been mentioned you can cause yourself more problems by the chilled loops tendency to want to condensate. This requires adjusting the chiller precisely for the environmental conditions.

A PC should have no problems staying cool though unless you have it stuffed in a hole where it can't get any airflow. I suspect more problems with PCs in shops are caused by power quality than heat. With lots of machinery there is lots of electrical noise and that can bring about lots of problems.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »
Points i am going to implement:
1. Shield wires.
2. Good quality closed loop temp controller to keep the temp between 30-40 degrees.
3. Small fridge for the cabinet (today i made a phone call to a friend who repairs fridge and AC to look for a ~90L fridge for me and he laughed after i told him what i need it for)
Anything else i should care for?

yes Jeff and Hood, the dust is not really harmful for the PC if it is just dust. But we cut and grind a lot of casting iron in our workshop that produces a lot of "Conductive dust" that drives the Mach3 nuts. I am sure that 99% of my machine's stability issue is going to be solved after giving the electronics an air tight enclosure.

thanks,
Jasminder singh

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:37:31 AM »
Look at this guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PID-Digital-Temperature-Control-Controller-Thermocouple-0-to-400-/250984126629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6fd1d8a5

This is a very cost effective PID temp controller (it is being sold from china but is made in japan and can turn on/off an SSR to switch on/off the fridge i am gonna use) what do you say?

Jasminder singh
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
I live in Florida and I can tell you without a doubt heat plays a big part of Machs (computer) stability. During the cooler months no problems. But as soon as it gets warm things can get a little funky. I now have an air conditioned shop (yea) and no longer see any glitches or hangs.

Derek
thanks for your input derek.
But i have a 900 sq/ft workshop that i cannot afford to AC completely. Even my own living room is not AC at home. This CNC lathe is going to be lucky to have his personal AC to chill it's hot a**.

Jasminder singh

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 06:27:54 AM »
My Mach computer lock on occasion and I'm fairly sure it's power related, I have a few UPS's on my work machinery and have few problems with them since doing putting them on UPS's.

Same when I ran Win 98, I got a drastic drop in crashing when they were on a UPS.

Steve