Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:56:15 AM

Author Topic: Ethernet SmoothStepper Configuration  (Read 16463 times)

Ethernet SmoothStepper Configuration
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »
Hello Community,

Using a Syil X6 Mill with Mach3.
Switched from a parallel port connector to an Ethernet SmoothStepper.
The most up to date plug-in is installed from the Warp9TD website.

I am able to connect to Mach3 and all the LEDs are blinking. My question lies in the PlugIncontrol Menu.
Attached are the two setup windows. One is the Configuration Dialog and the other is the Data Monitoring Status.

Please does anyone have any information on the recommended settings for these two setup windows or any documentation that may assist me???

Thank you,

Kevin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Ethernet SmoothStepper Configuration
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »
You set the step frequency for any axis you are using to what you need or the setting just above. For example you may have 100,000 steps per unit and a velocity of 100 units per minute so that would equate to you needing 100,000 x 100 = 10.000.000 pulses per minute so 10,000,000/60 = 166,666 pulses per second (or Hz) so divided by 1000 would give you 166.66KHz so you would choose the nearest above that setting which would be 256KHz.
Do that for each axis you are using and any axis you are not using set it to the lowest (32KHz)

Spindle will be whatever you use and is relatively self explanatory with maybe the exception of the pulse width if you have a Step/Dir spindle. For that it will depend on the steps per rev you have and you may need to lower it to obtain full speed.

Miscellaneous is more or less self explanatory except the number of data points, probably best to just leave that as default.

M11/M10 is if you are using that function for a laser so if you are not then no need to set that.

Noise filtering will be left at zero unless you have issues with false triggers then you can try a small amount of filtering for the problem input, dont go too high though or you may have more issues.

Pins 2-9 just determines whether you want them as inputs on ports 2 and 3 or set as outputs as they would  normally be on a parallel port.

The monitoring doesnt need anything done, its just there to see whats happing if you have issues.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:41:47 AM »
Hood,

Thank you for replying so quickly with helpful information. Next time I power up the Mill I will try out the new settings.   :D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
No problem, hope it helps :)
Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
Finally got a chance to power up the mill and try out the new ethernet smoothstepper.
I launched Mach3, selected the appropriate device, and all the LEDs on the ESS are blinking showing communication.

However, there is an issue and not sure what it is. The mill is on, mach3 is open, and ESS is connected... but I am not getting any interaction between the mill and Mach3.
I tried to turn off the blinking emergency reset switch so I can ref all the axis home, but nothing happens  ???. Also, none of the emergency switches are set on the mill.

Have any thoughts of what it could be?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »
If you attach your xml I will have a look.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
I figured it out, it is all right. Thank you though. The Input Port Pins were out of order, which is why the estop and axises weren't communicating from Mach3 to the Mill.