Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 11:00:52 PM

Author Topic: Help/Advice with Gcode Chess Piece  (Read 3801 times)

Help/Advice with Gcode Chess Piece
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »
Hi,

I'm very new to CNC and I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to proceed with this operation.

I currently have Gcode for a chess piece. The piece comes out perfect on paper, however the blank I want to use to actually turn into a chess piece is much longer than what the chess piece comes out as on paper which would leave me with the chess piece and alot of blank that I'd need to cut off with a hacksaw.

From what I've researched and gathered, I need to take a part off tool and part off at the blank and then do some sort of tool offset through Mach(Maybe using an M code?) and then move the extra distance that I want to get rid of down the blank and then begin a sort of pecking motion to get rid of the extra blank so there is no ribbon.

I was wondering if someone could please verify that I'm on the right track as far as how to get rid of the extra blank and possibly tell me what M Code(s) I should research to do this offet.

Attached is my Gcode file aswell.

Thank you very much,
Joel

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Help/Advice with Gcode Chess Piece
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:42:35 AM »
Are you manualy doing the code? If not what program are you using to generate the code.
After machining the profile ( btw your cutting into the ball end ) you need to go to some location, change the tool, and then have code
to part off the piece.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
@RICH: Thanks for the reply. What should I look for as far as cutting the part off the blank? I was told it needs to be done in a pecking motion so there is no ribbon? Can you give me a little more info on what this means?

Thanks!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:57:46 AM »
Part off the same as you would manualy. So just add few lines of code.Move the parting tool to where you want to cut the piece off and then just use a G01 ( ie. G01 X..... F......)  axis move at a feedrate. The tool can provide for chip breaking if prepared correctly and I don't peck when doing a cut off.

Pecking is an in/out motion ( the tool cuts / then retracts / then moves in again and cuts again). For a small diameter one continous motion of cutting should be fine.

RICH