Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:17:03 AM

Author Topic: Circles on 2 lines  (Read 2077 times)

Circles on 2 lines
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »
Hi everybody,
i'm new both here and on CNC in general, and i hope to get some help getting up to speed with it.
The machine i bought comes with a control software that is fairly simple, so i thought to give the popular Mach3 a try; if i end up liking it (very likely), it is not expensive at all for what it is.
I waded through a lot of stuff in the last few weeks, and so far i was able to create some codes for basic machining i will need.
The PROBLEM i have now:
i use rhino and rhinocam to draw parts and generate code; for every circle, rhinocam outputs 2 lines of code. I tried to tweak the post porcessor in every possible combination in the 'circles' tab, with no avail. Curiously, it even has an option to 'limit' the arcs to some degree - it is unchecked, and i even tried to check it with 360 degrees specified. Nothing.
What this produces, is a slowdown of the feedrate at half the circle, almost a stop, then it speeds up again; i do NOT like this, as i would want the motion and feedrate to be as smooth and costant as possible.
I see in the settings of mach, there is a 'look ahead' option, and i have it on 100 lines of code; yet, it seems it does not recognize from one line to the other that the circle is one and no need to slow down.
Any idea on how to solve this, either on the CAM side or the Mach3 side?
It looks like the more i learn, the more problems i run into; i hope to get to a point where things will get smoother: after all my hope is that the machine will help me SAVE time, not waste it  :)
I appreciate all the help, best,
Daniele.
Re: Circles on 2 lines
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
Well,
this was easier than i thought, thanks to Mach3; i set 'constant velocity' and it did the trick. I suppose for a circle there is no drawback using CV; in operations with corners, is it still a good idea to use CV or not?
The more i use mach3 the more i'm convinced i'll buy it before the trial expires!
Best,
Daniele.