Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:12:41 AM

Author Topic: struggling with the digitize wizard.  (Read 7212 times)

Offline mry

•  8 8
    • View Profile
struggling with the digitize wizard.
« on: August 18, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »
i am in need of a digitizing solution..

I've attempted to utilize the digitize plugin with NO success..

and now I am struggling with the digitize wizard.

this is my "process of its use." (i.e my strategy is )

1. set probe above highest surface of the object to be scanned (perhaps .25 inches?)

2. zero all axes

3. open digitize wizard

4. set width of digitizing area (x) to 2

5 set  height of digitizing area (y) to 2.

6. set z axis travel height to +3.

7. set probe depth to -1.5

8 set x stepover to .5

9 set y stepover to .5

10 feedrate to 90

11 generate g code and exit to mach

12. I "get" a digitize code..

13. select cycle start and I am prompted to save a file in a folder

14. I create a folder and a filename.. (in a folder I have created for digitizing)

15. click cycle start again , probe moves up.. to 3.0

16 probe moves down to 2.28

totally confusing me as to what the inputs I am giving are supposed to do..

I have tried a Number of different variables for #6 as well as #7

my cnc router will run my other code just fine..
but I cannot get it to go run the probing wizard correctly..

seems as though no matter what I do I cannot get the probe to touch the top of my part.

any thoughts?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: struggling with the digitize wizard.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:16:47 AM »
I have never done any probing so this is just a guess but is the probe working correctly? In other words do you have the active state for it set wrong?
Hood

Offline mry

•  8 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:46:14 AM »
an update.. these are my digitize settings (as seen in the digitize wizard (from art)

note that my part is about 4 inches tall.
and the z probe depth is set to 1.5

I set up my slightly modified probe against the table.. at zero.
this is my zero position setting

this is the digitize code  developed my the wizard.

this is part way though the run, (I was single stepping through to get an idea of IF the code was right.. )

I THINK that g31 z1.5 and SHOULD indicate that the probe would lower to a position at 1.5 inches above zero max? (Unless of course the probe is tripped prior to getting to that position.)
the next g0 sends the z back up to 4.5. which happens, and in that regard this code makes

however this is the actual motion that I get

my z never goes below +2.9114 I carefully watched the led on my breakout board (which shows the probe connection) and I dont see that the probe has been hit.

MY feedrate is 100, I havent adjusted that lower yet. (guess I should)

I did change debounce settings in the general config to 100 with no noticeable changes any ideas?

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:27:49 PM »
I got the digitize wizard to function for me by setting z0 a little above the surface of the area to be probed, set the travel height to .25 above that and probe depth to -1.5, ( your screen shot shows yours set to +1.5 maybe therein?) 

it did work but, I'm not sure I'm using it right.  the finished cloud converted to stl just fine, I projected a v-carve path onto it, but it came out out of position on the work area.  I'm trying to carve the pow-mia logo on a gun stock.

Oh did I mention, I dont own a proper probe, just a tool setter plate, I taped some aluminum foil to the surface of the stock, conected my touch plate to it and used the bit as a probe.
seemed to work fairly well as far as I got with it that is.

John

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:32:37 PM »
Set the Highest point on the top of material to Z0.000 then program the Z travel height to just above the highest part of the material so it can rapid safely.

The probe depth will be a negative number . Use a depth that is just below the lowest part of the material to be probed.  

OR for the other type of thinking. SET the top of the table to Z0.00 and the rapid to above the top of material then probe depth to 0.000

Those will get you going, Depending on the settings it can take a while (;-)

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:36:05 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:39:15 AM »
thanks.

I'm trying to carve a logo on the side of a gun  stock.  after probing yesterday, which seemed to go just fine.  The carving seemed to be offset from the original surface.  Any suggestions?

John

P.s. I'll be trying again today, this time probing a 3x3 area from x0y0 bottom left of area as the wizard does it. Then I'll try placing "00" in the center of the scanned area and carving.  There just has to be a way to do this.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
Mach3 can only gather points as a point cloud. Mach3 does not care where you place the point of origin X0Y0 .

The CAM has to be able to accurately USE the points gathered. What you are seeing is a CAM problem not  a Mach3 problem.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
Actually I figured it was a Me problem. Somehow I messed up the origin point between gathering the point cloud and carving the actual logo. I've been practicing on an old bb gun stock. first try was offset, second side seemed to work well, but I think my z 0 was a little low, supposed to carve .02 deep and it was closer to .05, this logo has some really crowded lettering at the bottom and I busted out the wood between the letters.  I'm thinking I carved too deep and too fast for this tiny bit, I'm using a 30* engraving bit with a .003 dia tip.  Guess I need to find a friend who has a "pile of old stocks" for more practicing.

John
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »
Here are a couple shots from my cell phone, sorry they are so fuzzy.

The process does appear to work ok, I allowed it to cut too deeply for the way the text below was crammed together.

I'll be trying again, and again. Something about this appeals to me.

John
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:48:11 PM by woodspinner »

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
I've been interested in this too. Great idea about wrapping the gun stock in aluminum foil!
So here's the question....
Once you get the point cloud data, what's the process for marrying that data with the data you intend to engrave with?

Is there a quick and dirty way to do this? Software?