Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:38:11 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 compatible .DXF to Gcode  (Read 22274 times)

Mach3 compatible .DXF to Gcode
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
Hi,

I'm wondering if someone could recommend a application that can convert a simple AutoCad .DXF to Mach3 compatible Gcode. The 2D cad file consists of a few simple arcs and the rest are lines. What is a reliable and compatible application to do this job? I have already tried LazyCam, however the gcode it posted is incorrect.

Attached is my .dxf file and the .tap file that LazyCam generated. As far as I know I followed the procedure correctly in LazyCam.

Price is really not a factor, I'm just looking for someone that is guaranteed to do this job however if there is a free software out there that is capable of this please list it.

Thanks

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mach3 compatible .DXF to Gcode
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
What did you create that file in? AutoCAD 2009 can't even open it.
If you used a newer version of AutoCAD, you should always save as v12 .dxf files, as they offer the best compatibility with CAM programs.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »
I couldn't open it with Autocad or Microstation.
RICH
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »
Attached is the correct .dxf file however it must be opened in AutoCad 2008.

Could someone please verify if LazyCam posts the correct code? The posted code seems correct for the most part in Mach, however my two arcs have turned into full circles which is not correct.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »
Is that for a lathe? And do you mean LazyTurn, or LazyCAM??

Also, the .dxf is rather sloppy, as the top arcs don't appear to be positioned correctly. I'm not sure how you can cut anything with that .dxf??

You also want to always save your .dxf's as version 12, or most people won't be able to open them.

Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
Hi,

This is infact for a Lathe and it is for the version of "LazyCam". I'm just looking to figure out where I've gone wrong as far as posting the .dxf to gcode(i.e why my arcs come out as full circles)

Like you said, would saving it as a .dxf 2012 make any difference?

Thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
would saving it as a .dxf 2012 make any difference?

No, and saving as v12 dxf is done for a reason as it more likely to be opened by the importing program and dosen't contain any
junk that is of no use for the program.  As far as the drawing is concerned, I suggest you have a good read of the section on CAD DRAWING in the LC manual. LT is much better to use than LC for turning a profile as the turning in LC can be a challenge ie; see page 122 in the manual for some known problems with LC.

If i remember correctly LC posts code which is influenced by your current Mach configuration so check your configuration ie; reversed arcs and incremental / absolute come to mind.

RICH
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
My IJ are set to incremental in Mach3 to match the post settings I selected in LC. Where could I possibly be going wrong? Could you please link me to the manual for LC as I cannot find one online.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
The manual is in members doc's.
RICH