Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:29:33 PM

Author Topic: control of older servo control hardware by mach3  (Read 2872 times)

control of older servo control hardware by mach3
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »
Is there any reason why mach 3 could not drive older controls formerly driven by dos software?
It seems to me if you know the pin assignments of the old controller you should be able to
drive it with Mach. Or is this wishfull thinking?
 I have an old Servo Impact 2 machine, nice little machine but old controls from the late 1990's

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: control of older servo control hardware by mach3
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »
If it accepts Step/Dir signals or even quadrature signals then it should be possible, the latter will be restricted to certain pin assignment if using the parallel port.
Does this system run from the parallel port or is it serial or a dedicated PCI or ISA card?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
It outputs from the pc through a serial port. The motors are brushless dc servos.
The servo impact tech claims it's not step and direction. I was surprised to hear that,
since it's sending pulses, (even from the pendant without the PC on) I assumed it is step and direction.
If not step and direction, what else could the old dos control software be?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »
If its via serial then its not just a case of hooking to the parallel port unfortunately. Even worse if your drives are not Step/Dir then that is no use. The drives are likely analogue input (-10v to 10v) and there will be a board in the controller that converts what ever info the serial is sending out.
If you knew the make/model of drives you could maybe get info but likely your best bet would either stick with what you have or get some new drives for the motors.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »
Thanks for your input. I guess for now I'll stick with it as it is.