Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:42:44 PM

Author Topic: Code running.....machine not moving.  (Read 2046 times)

Code running.....machine not moving.
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:14 AM »
I encountered a problem last night on my machine that I have not run into before, and wondering if someone can shed some light on what may have gone wrong.

First off I have been using my machine for several years, and quite a lot these past few days, so it is well proven in.

I started the code last night using the "run from here", everything took off and ran fine. I checked on it about a hour later and all was still good. Came back an hour later and the machine was not moving on a three axis, yet the code was scrolling down and running.

My first thought was I lost power or blew a fuse, but all power indicators were on. recycling power to the control panel (but not the PC) appeared to fix the problem and all was good.

Any thoughts on what may have happened.

Thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Code running.....machine not moving.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
Just a wild guess but the switched mode type of power supply or a voltage regulator or a stepper driver can shut down if it is stressed (excessive current / voltage / temperature) and only come back to life when the power is re-cycled.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: Code running.....machine not moving.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
HI Tweakie,

I kick myself for not looking at the status lights on the drivers before cycling power. I had thought it would have been odd for all 3 to go out. Its likely I may never find out the cause, but was hoping others may have had some insight to this.
Thanks again for the reply.
Kevin