Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:58:22 AM

Author Topic: HF Spindle - pulleys ?  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Kym A

•  13 13
    • View Profile
HF Spindle - pulleys ?
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:16:17 AM »
Hello,
I am trying to set PWM to control my spindle....I am not understanding the pulley side of it...among other things.
Do I have to set up minimum and maximum speeds for each pulley?
The spindle speed is controlled by frequency,... does not have pulleys.
I have the spindle running via Mach3, but it runs at at 400Hz - 24000rpm and I cannot reduce the speed via Mach3.
Need help please as I have tried everything I know.
Cheers,
Kym

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: HF Spindle - pulleys ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »
The pulley side of things is fairly straightforward. If you dont have a pulley setup then enter the min speed, max speed and set ratio as 1.
Hood

Offline Kym A

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
Hello Hood,

There are 15 pulleys....do I give them all min speed, max speed and ratio 1?

I have it running via Mach3, but cannot vary the speed. It just ramps up to full speed

Cheers,
Kym

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:52:15 AM »
You really only need to set one, the settings that the others have will never be seen by Mach unless you tell Mach you are using one of them so as long as younever change the DRO on the settings page to anything else than 1 then its fine.
Afraid I have never used PWM for a spindle so cant really help there, it will probably depend on what speed controller you are using as to what you need to set for base frequency etc.
Hood

Offline Kym A

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03:59 AM »
Thank you Hood for the pulley info.
Hopefully others might have PWM set up settings to control the spindle.
I am using DC-03 DigiSpeed GX V3 by Homann Designs.

Cheers,
Kym

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:04:53 AM »
Peter is usually pretty good on support so if he doesnt pop in here I am sure an email to him will get results.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:19 AM »
on the subject of changing spindle pulleys.  I have 2 pulleys on my Bridgeport one is for main gear and the other for back gear.  Anybody have a mod so we can toggle between two pulleys on the mach3 main screen? 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »
You could do a few things, first is ad the spindle DRO to the main page, you could write a macro to change the spindle pulley from code or you could add a VB button on screen to do the pulley change when you press it.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »
You could do a few things, first is ad the spindle DRO to the main page, you could write a macro to change the spindle pulley from code
Hood

MACRO, is that another word for Brain?  Does this include if then statements?  Got any good places where I dshould go looking to learn how to write these things.  Support forum doesn't seem to teach me a lot and last night I could barely view the videos.  Got sample codes with descriptions besides the individual lines ?     

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
No Brain and Macro  are different things. Ywill find some info on the VB on the Downloads page of the site, there is a VB manual there.
If you have never done any VB it may take a while to get up to speed though, its taken me 8 years and I am still crap ;D
If you say what your preference of the three options is I can likely help you out but might have to be later when I get home.
Hood