Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:32:23 AM

Author Topic: Need Help w/ Encoder Interface  (Read 4403 times)

Need Help w/ Encoder Interface
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
Hello All,

I've got a new Romaxx WD-1 and I am unable to get the encoder interface working in Mach.  The symptom is that none of the encoder DROs will ever change when I move the Z (or any other) axis.  I followed debug instructions posted here:

http://romaxxcnc.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=support&action=display&thread=447

This showed me that there are pulses present on the parallel port connector at the interface to the PC for at least the Z axis encoder (I only tested one).  The only thing that didn't match these instructions was that the pulse voltage was about 4v instead of 5v, but I'm thinking this should still work.  From this I'm thinking that the problem is somewhere in Mach and/or the PC hardware side of things.  For what it's worth, the 1st parallel port is working perfectly, my machine runs fine - just no encoders.  As far as I can tell, both ports are using the same driver, and I have them enabled in Mach (see attached screen shots) with the correct addresses.

I'm also attempting to set up a touch off plate, but this is also not working, I suspect for the same reason.  It also uses the 2nd parallel port.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Greg

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help w/ Encoder Interface
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:17:23 AM »
Have you got the plugin enabled?
Do you  possibly have another port on the computer?
If you swap the port numbers around in Mach and swap the cables from one port to the other does Mach still move the axis?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »
If I swap cables and addresses, the machine still moves.  How can I find out if the plugin is enabled?  I received some files to place in a specific folder, but I don't recall taking any other actions to activate the plugin.  No other parallel ports show up in the device manager, there is only 1 serial port listed along side the two parallel ports.

Thanks for your help.
Greg

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:01:02 AM »
Go to the Config menu then Config Plugins. In that window you should see the plugin and whether its enabled.
It should be like below I would think but as I dont have/use the encoder interface it may not be the same.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:02:38 AM »
Oh and as you have swapped addresses and cables and the axis still move then that shows the port is working correctly so its likely the plugin that is the issue.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:59:35 PM »
Hood,

I found that the plugin was not even installed, don't know what happened.  Anyway, I installed it and still the encoder DRO's do not update when I manually turn the Z axis.  Also, if I turn on the machine and jog, the motion is immediately stopped by the plugin.  I'm guessing I don't have it configured correctly.  I have attached a shot of what I have now.  Can you tell me if this is correct?  I'm not sure what the OEMDRO's are referring to or what should be there.

Thanks for getting me this far.
Greg

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 03:11:58 AM »
As said I dont have and have never used the interface but it looks like you need to set the OEMDRO numbers up to match the encoder inputs. So looking at the OEM list the encoder DROs are
x = 29
Y = 30
Z = 31
A = 100

Try them and see if it helps.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »
I put these numbers in and still have the same behavior.  I left the A axis alone since I don't have a 4th axis and unchecked it's enable. 

Thanks for your efforts, I'm closer than before.
Greg

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »
Not really sure then :( You have restarted Mach after enabling the plugin I presume?
Hood