Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:24:23 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Motor is the cause of all my problems  (Read 8509 times)

Spindle Motor is the cause of all my problems
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
After hours of sitting and watching my cnc mill go back and fourth and up and down twenty times, measuring at three different points I have found that with the spindle motor turned off the machine is accurate and precise. With the spindle motor on the x,y and z axis will move a lot, the longer it runs the more it moves. So now that I know what the problem is I do not know how to fix it. The spindle motor is a 24V brushless motor. I have removed the speed controller and placed it out side the control box and it did nothing other than waste my time. I’m thinking of putting the machine into the truck and driving to the middle of a filed somewhere, has anyone seen “Office Space”? then you know what’s next.  >:(
Any suggestions?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle Motor is the cause of all my problems
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
Shielding and properly (one end and all shields tied to a single terminal) grounding  the wiring, especially low voltage signal wires such as Step/Dir will help greatly.

This is the reason I try to make all signal wiring on my machines 24v and signals such as encoders or step/dir that must be 5v I make sure they are differential signals. Both of these methods make it very rare for noise to be a problem. Obviously going that route for you would be a major task in rewiring and interfacing so go with the shielding/grounding and I am sure you will get it sorted.
Hood

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »
Just for a little humor here I can't tell you the number of times my workshop's electric garage door opener get's triggered when bringing Mach3 online! Seriously!

I know there must be a stray signal coming somewhere from my control box that happens right when Mach3 gets through loading. Happened some many times I've come to ignore it and just walk over and hit the button to close the door.

Just remember... it can always be worse!  ;D

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
This is why it scares the heck out of me when folks use wireless devices like pendants, keyboards, mice etc.

I know they obviously work for some, but I don't mind the cable enough to play research and development  ;)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:24:02 AM »
Must admit I think the same, maybe its because I have bigger machines but even a wee one can do serious damage to flesh.
Hood

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
Nothing's wireless on mine other than my internet connection and I only use it (have it plugged in to the usb) when I'm not milling.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »
i've seen a wireless keyboard and mouse cause chaos to mach. Not worth the trouble they cause, and you have fun when the battery runs out.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »
I agree with Dave and Hood. I don't use any wireless device ...other than an XBOX 360 when using CopyCat ( which is not very often).
A few friends use wireless and seem to have no problems. Only use over time can tell but if there are problems from the start than would seem
like one is asking for trouble.
RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »
Must admit I think the same, maybe its because I have bigger machines but even a wee one can do serious damage to flesh.
Hood

Indeed, but when a machine starts eating itself, I'm sure that's no fun to watch either, lol!  ;D

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
Thanks Hood!
I have rewired the entire machine. E-stop, home sensors, spindle motor and steppers all have shielded wire. I have a control box that houses everything, power, speed control and stepper control. The stepper motors have just wires coming out with no shielding. My question now is do I ground both sides of the wire and shield the steppers or ground just the control box side? Or am I in for more R&D?

Thanks Vogavt, that’s a great story.