Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:39:21 AM

Author Topic: Zapp Automation - anyone used?  (Read 6490 times)

Zapp Automation - anyone used?
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:09:08 AM »
Apologise if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find anywhere better.

I'm looking to purchase one of the Nema 34 8.5Nm steppers I plan to use on my Bridgeport clone, as I'd like to have one in my hand while building the mounts and everything.  Zapp is currently coming up as the cheapest supplier, has anyone used them before?  Any experinces to share?
Re: Zapp Automation - anyone used?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:12:38 AM »
I have used them numerous times and they have always been spot on.

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:01:53 AM »
Used a few times and once they said they had a small ballscrew in stock but it took well over a week and quite a few emails, otherwise they have been ok the few times I have used them.

Curious though as to what type of machine you are putting such a big stepper on?
Hood
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:44 AM »
My Bridgeport clone...was actually thinking about going up to a 12.2Nm....Motion control have a package of 3 12.2 motors, 3 drivers, 2 PSU's and a BOB....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:13:05 AM »
I had 916 oz in steppers on my Bridgeports with 2.5:1 on the old Boss and 2:1 on the converted manual and there was more than enough torque. Not saying that is the way to go though was just what worked for me, now have servos on it and what a difference :)
Hood

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:24:26 AM »
I'm putting 4:1 on the X and Y, the Z I can only get about 2.5:1, there isn't room to get a bigger pulley on the end of the ballscrew.

So you think 8.5Nm is plenty big enough then?  I searched and searched Google but could not find any way to calculate what I needed.  Never having designed stepper motors for a CNC machine I've got no gut instinct on what's man enough for the job!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
They will give more than enough torque at 4:1 reduction but your rapids will suffer quite a bit.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 03:24:19 AM »
Thanks for the reasurance Hood!

As far as the rapids go, its not an industrial machine anymore, and its not like its costing me the same £40/hr as the machines at work do.  What I want is accuracy, and longevity, so oversized and reduced down is good for me, as it means they'll not be working hard all the time, and are hopefully going to last longer. 

Anyway, I might try and see if MCP will do an offer on 8.5's instead...

In answer to the original question to get back on track, I've been having email discussions with Gary Higgins of Zapp about MPG's.  He's been really helpful, and has tipped me off about a rather nice looking pendant designed for Mach3 which will be going on the new website hopefully during the next month.  I think I'll give them a try!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 03:45:18 AM »
Regarding the rapids, I have heard that many times before and indeed it was one thing I said.  I will ask you again in a years time and more than likely you will have changed your stance  ;D
Rapids are nice to have but a more  important thing however in my opinion is acceleration.
With the size of steppers you are considering I would think 1:1, 1.5:1 or even 2:1 would be a better choice. As mentioned I had 916 OzIn (6.4Nm) steppers on the Bridgeport geared 2:1 (manual conversion) and 2.5:1 (Boss 6.1 conversion) and there was more than enough torque. I was actually considering making them 1:1 but then decided to go with servos instead as using the Bridgeport after using the Beaver NC5, which had servos, was a chore.

As for the motors lasting longer with higher gearing, I dont think that will make any difference to them, I ran the Bridgeport almost daily for 4 or 5 years and there was not an issue. I still have the geckos and motors here, just have to find something that I can fit them to, was going to put them on the wee lathe but decided to go servos on that as well, maybe another coil winder would be a good idea, one made specifically to wind small spools of Alu wire for the mig's spool on gun  ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:50:53 AM »
Also worth thinking about is as steppers spin faster the torque drops off very rapidly so if you have a high gearing you are having to spin them fast to get anywhere and you may actually have less torque than you would with a lower gearing. You would have to look at the motors torque curves and the normal cutting speeds you will be using to determine what is best.
Hood