Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:43:24 PM

Author Topic: 1989 Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit  (Read 21609 times)

Re: 1989 Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
Thanks and I know it's going to be alot work but I enjoy tinkering with machinery.  I found the same Speedstar VFD that you went with on ebay for $950.00.  Is this in the neighborhood of what you picked yours up for.  Also I had a question on the servo's did you use the stock brake or go with the optional brake they offer with the teco servos from machmotion.  That's pertaining to the Z axis of course.  I was doing some more research on line about the factory specs of this machine.  I couldn't find anything "official" from Bridgeport, but I did find other people selling the same year machine.  They all say the spindle is 10hp and go up to 10,000 rpm.  Does this sound right as I know you said yours would only go 6,000 rpm.  It also says the stock rapid speed was 472 ipm.  I remember reading your post and you were saying yours came stock with somewhere in around 300ipm.  Did they advance the machine that much in 2 years or is the resellers information incorrect.  I was also thinking maybe there was different optional equipment available at the time of the original purchase.  Any thoughts on that.  Thanks

I got my VFD at for 800, but that was a long time ago...  
driveswarehouse.com/p-2124-pc1-75.aspx

Yes, use the stock brake on the Z.  Its a simple 24VDC solenoid (i think)

Check the motor plate on the spindle, it will indicate the MAX RPM for your machine.

Look n good !

JH

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:38:01 PM by Chaoticone »
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 11:26:33 PM »
I put in more time today and got nearly all the panels, guards, and covers off of the machine.  I also go all 3 of the servo's off the machine and pulled the stock mouting brackets off them and their sprockets.  I also shop vacced 90 percent of the chips out of all the nooks and crannies. I found a set of servo's buy before the weeks end.  I checked into the rpm of the spindle it is in fact 10,000 rpm.  It says 1500/10000 rpm at 5.5kva on the nameplate of the motor. So I'm assuming that means the spindle only turns 1500 max rpm and through the belt ratio it can achieve 10K?  I will show some pictures of the progress tomorrow.

Joey
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »
So I'm assuming that means the spindle only turns 1500 max rpm and through the belt ratio it can achieve 10K? 

This means the AC Spindle motor and ALL bearing in the spindle noise are rated for 10K !!!  Nice....   Your VFD will adjust the frequency to the 3 Phase Spindle Motor to control the RPMs.  The number of poles will determine the frequency to RPM ratio.

The Spindle Motor on my 412 has 4 poles  (ie 100Hz = 3000RPM, 200Hz=6000RPM ), simple calculation will get you 10K

Again, 10K ROCKS

JH
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 01:10:17 PM »
Here's some more pics of the machine further dismantled.  :)  There's also some pics of the ways as well.  I'm having trouble locating the Main input for the air.  There's a large line hanging down under the far back left-hand corner of the machine(as viewed from front).  I'm thinking this may be the main air in.  I tracked it it seems to go either up to the power draw bar or to the the nose of the spindle.  Both are large lines and I can't determine which is which as they are in conduit atm.  I was thinking the main air was going to go to that block of air switches and then spider out from there but I seen no large hookup for it.  I will post pics as soon as possible to clarify what I'm talking about. 

Joey
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
I got the electric ran to the main Disconnect inside the machine electric panel.  I also spent awhile at the hardware store dreaming up an air line setup and bought all the connections for one.  Today I got that all put together and have 2 quick connects an inline filter and main shut-off.  It's also piped all the way back to the machine but I capped it off there as I don't know what connections I will need yet for the machine.  Everything worked great and no leaks on the first go.  2 out of 3 of my servo motors and drives came in today.  The last one will come in on friday.  I found them on ebay for $1,300 shipped(for all 3).  2 separate auctions though hence the delay in arrival times.  Some of the manual labor is going to wean off soon and I'll be knee deep in wiring this machine.  I can't wait for that phase of this retrofit.  I'll get some more pics up soon after I have a little more progress under my belt.

Joey
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
Did quite a bit since I last posted.  Changed the motor plates so they match the new Teco Servos.  I wired up a couple more things in the electrical cabinet. Then made 3 line driver boards and also intergrated the brake circuit into them.  I called about which pin it was for the brake output they told me it was pin 45 but that doesn't seem right.  So waiting on more info before I modify 1 of the control wires I bought off them.  More pics soon as I haven't post many lately.

Joey
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »
So I had begun working on my machine again about a month ago.  Everything is wired and works fairly well I still got to do some servo tuning.  I haven't yet hooked up the toolchanger but it's the next thing on the list.  I got the haas keypad hooked to the pokeys and I have mapped about 70 of the buttons to their respective button presses in Mach 3.  Here are some pictures.  I completely changed my control cabinet compenents as well to some more expensive and reliable electronics.  I have a couple pictures I'll put and maybe I'll take some more if anyone's interested.

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
hey toolmaker,
       I almost bought a Bridgeport Torqcut 22 that needed a retrofit and cleaning up but didn't have room for it and wasn't sure if I was up to the work needed. ::) Your machine looks to be about the same vintage as the TQ 22. Looks like you did a SUPER job on yours , ( that operator's panel is SHARP dude !). I was kinda interested in what it took you to get to where it is now but there seems to be about a 2 year gap between your last 2 posts. ;D
       None the less buddy it's a great looking machine you have there, hope it works as good as it looks.   

Rick
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 02:44:08 AM »
Ya I would say I got about 4 months of time invested and about 10k so far.  I was no master electrician when I started this there was quite a learning curve to take on a task like this.  I didn't work on the machine for awhile due to some personal reasons in my life but recently took it back up and plan to see it to completion and start getting some of that cash invested back out of it :).  Or that is the plan anyhow!  If I could give advice to someone trying to recreate this I would first and foremost inspect the ball screws of whatever machine your getting(if this is possible under your situation)  I love the Teco servo drives.  I'd recommend them to anyone.  Make sure you don't ever tap on the back of the servo motor.  Like when your putting pulleys on :).  I completely changed the breakout board(to CNC4PC's  C32 CNC Board) and most of the control components in the back to get some noise immunity and reliable stuff that was more easily replaced.  By this I mean using the previous boards I had to build a line driver board so the breakout board could speak to the servo with noise immunity from using the 2 wires versus the singled ended wire coming from the breakout board.  I also learned that actually grounding the shielded cables is super important and having a good ground near the machine is nearly essential IMO.  I would also suggest for a possible retrofit project that you buy some new wires for all your devices to be hooked up.  As in kind of plan what gauge wires your going to need and order some reels of shielded cable in the correct sizes that you'll need.  I dug through and reused a lot of the older wires but it would have looked more professional and uniform had I done that.  The servo drives and VFD have a descent book to go with and to a first timer this can seem overwhelming but you just got to take the time to read through see what options you have and get them set correctly for your situation(parameters and such).  I ran a Haas at my work so I decided to figure out the keypad matrix on Haas keypad.  Just so I could bring the Haas feel back to home.  If any1 would like the matrix table I'll put it in an excel sheet.  I'll try to take some new picture of the back cabinet as well and post it up tmrw.  I read through JHChopper's retrofit and try to closely mimic what he had done.  A big thanks goes to him as well or I wouldn't have felt at ease at trying to retrofit this. I have a video of it cutting I'll post up.  This was it's second test piece so I had pretty slow feed rates especially on the plunge.  As my confidence in the machine increases I'll move to a more productive level. Happy Holidays :)
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 02:50:10 AM »
I'll put the movie and pictures on tomorrow as I'm going to have to edit it and make it a bit smaller to post on here.