Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:35:47 PM

Author Topic: 1989 Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit  (Read 21657 times)

1989 Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
My machine finally came as of yesterday.  It's a 1989 Bridgeport Interact 412 and I'm planning on retrofitting it to mach 3.  Nothing went as planned with the delivery.  First off it was over a week late of first estimated delievery date.  So i was intially going to rent a forklift for the move but someone else rented it out and it wasn't going to be back in time.  So I had a friend with a backhoe and the front loader on it was said to be able to lift 6,182 lbs.  With the machine weighing in at roughly 5000 lbs I figured it would be ample to lift it off the semi.  The front loader had a fork attachment but the backhoe wasn't able to lift it off the semi as the hydraulic fluid was slightly low.  So my friend also had a wench truck and ended up winching it from the semi it to his flat bed wench truck.  We then brought it back to my house as I had the semi go to his because the semi wouldn't be able to make the bend at the top of my road.  His truck also has a tilt bed so he sat the end of it right in the garage and we spent the next couple hours wedge it down the bed of his truck with the help of gravity since it was inclined until it rested half way in the garage and half way still on his truck.  He pulled his bed out some(still leaving the 4x4 resting on his bed) lifted up and pushed it back and repeated until it was about 6 feet into the garage.  From there I rented a pallet jack and my dad and I slowly and painstakingly moved it into position.  The pallet jack said it could lift 5500 lbs and it did but it was extremely difficult to move around because of the weight.  It's setting in position now resting on 4x4's and roughly leveled.  I tore most of the stock electronics out as I won't be using these for the retrofit and have them currently listed on eBay.  I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.

Joey
Re: 1989 Bridgeport Interact 412 Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your progress!

JH
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »
Here are the pics.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:04:46 PM »
and a couple more..
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
The control panel and some of the electronics have been removed at this point.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »
Looks like a solid machine to convert.  You got a lot of work ahead of you....

JH
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 08:20:20 PM »
Thanks and I know it's going to be alot work but I enjoy tinkering with machinery.  I found the same Speedstar VFD that you went with on ebay for $950.00.  Is this in the neighborhood of what you picked yours up for.  Also I had a question on the servo's did you use the stock brake or go with the optional brake they offer with the teco servos from machmotion.  That's pertaining to the Z axis of course.  I was doing some more research on line about the factory specs of this machine.  I couldn't find anything "official" from Bridgeport, but I did find other people selling the same year machine.  They all say the spindle is 10hp and go up to 10,000 rpm.  Does this sound right as I know you said yours would only go 6,000 rpm.  It also says the stock rapid speed was 472 ipm.  I remember reading your post and you were saying yours came stock with somewhere in around 300ipm.  Did they advance the machine that much in 2 years or is the resellers information incorrect.  I was also thinking maybe there was different optional equipment available at the time of the original purchase.  Any thoughts on that.  Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »
Looks like a sturdy machine :) If only my workshop had the headroom for a bedmill/VMC :(

Hood
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »
I haven't measured the OAH precisely but it fit under my garage door which has 94" under the door(with about 3-4inches of clearance).  That's even with 4x4's under the machine.  I wanted to make an update on here.  I got some of the panels removed and a lot of the unnecessary wires out the machine.  Most of the bolts came out but some were extremely tight and a couple I had to drill out as they stripped out.  All the bolts so far were metric Allen heads, philips, and regular screws.   Below are some pics of the progress.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 05:14:20 AM »
Seems like it is quite a low machine then, I have only 7ft door but inside I have 94 inch ceiling so maybe I need to look out for something like this.
Hood