Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:00:23 AM

Author Topic: Swapping computer systems  (Read 2434 times)

Swapping computer systems
« on: July 25, 2012, 02:05:53 AM »
Some advice please, Yesterday my old Dell computer monitor decided to shut down mid way a cutting program, the job completed but all I had on the screen was cannot display resolutions with a suggested alternative resolution. Swapped the monitor restarted the computer with the same screen fault, so suspect graphics card fault (window 7 operating system). It was 35 degrees in my workshop so waited till last night when it was cooler and went down and the screen was working. My question is can I put the Mach3 folder complete on a pen drive and transfer it to another computer or do I have to load Mach3 then add the xml and licence afterwards? I have my licence and Xml files on a separate pen drive already on a pen drive in case of a complete computer failure.
I'm being extra careful as my little Triac milling machine has been working perfect for 3 year and I'm half way completing a project so want to make sure I transfer it to another computer first time  and not spend days getting it up and working again.
Any suggestions and the best way to move Mach3, (would I benefit from any mods to Mach3 hence loading the latest version)  would be welcomed except for cancelling the hot weather, we in the UK have been waiting months to see the sun.
Re: Swapping computer systems
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:32:35 AM »
i've not tried to transfer a complete mach from one computer to another, but i would have thought you'd need to go through the installation on the second to load mach correctly.
One thing i have noticed though, don't try to replace the original xml with the stored one when mach is running, make sure mach is off.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:12:46 AM »
Best to install Mach then drop the xml, macros, plugins etc into it, especially when using the parallel port as you need to install the driver.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:51:59 AM »
Cheers Angel Tec and Hood, will do as you suggested. Jim