Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:01:59 PM

Author Topic: second opinions...  (Read 2658 times)

second opinions...
« on: July 24, 2012, 03:00:46 PM »
Hi,
First, thanks to the folks who posted all the info re: comprehensive Galil/Mach compatibility issues. It's great to have that as a resource, especially as I'm shopping around for a Galil set up for my own machine at the moment. While I know this is probably touched on under that topic, I'm sorta neurotic (plus not in too much of a position where I can afford either spending money in the wrong direction, or losing time), so I'm hoping anyone could provide some reassurance about what I've narrowed down for possible DMC choices. I'm looking at either a DMC 2160 or DMC 1842 for a motion controller - at present I've got a stepper based machine running, but I'm building a larger servo unit that has Kollmorgen S300 and S600 servostar drive's, if that helps at all. Really, I'm just trying to make absolutely sure I don't end up wasting money w a controller that either doesn't work, or needs so much finessing to get running it'll prove to be a nightmare. Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare a few minutes to put my mind at a ease w this....
Thank you

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: second opinions...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »
I would go with the 2160 over the 1800 board as it will be much easier to implement on your system. The 100 pin cable for the 1800 can be a real show stopper at times.
Cheers,
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: second opinions...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »
Yeah, I'll second the vote for the 2160.  Both controllers use the 100pin cable.  But the PCI 1842 card will need a much LONGER cable than the 2160.  Also, with the 2160, you don't have to worry about special drivers.  I'm just a big fan of the Ethernet controllers.