Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:36:54 AM

Author Topic: Computer will not shut down  (Read 5128 times)

Computer will not shut down
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:09:06 PM »
My computer will not shut down by the proper means of clicking on "turn off computer". I left MACH3 open overnight and it tried to go into standby and left a message indicating it was unable too. I went in and set windows to never go into standby and them proceeded to close all windows and shutdown but after clicking on "turn off computer" it shows the desktop as it normally would with no message or anything and never shuts down. I have reopened MACH with no problems and closed it again with no problems, I have run the driver test with and all is stable. Everything appears to be just normal but I can't turn off the computer. I tried to restart and it’s the same thing.

Any ideas?

Kevin

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Computer will not shut down
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 03:21:01 PM »
Give the three finger salute. Ctrl, Alt, Delete. Task manager, processes. End the process. You may want to look at the optimization file in the downloads section of this forum. What version of Mach are you running?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 04:05:58 PM »
Try pressing the computers "On" button, often they are setup to shutdown with a press of it. If not then you can hold in the button for approx 5 secs and the computer should switch off. Also if you have a reset button you can press that, failing all of these then switch off at the mains, When you restart it should work OK, if not then you will need to delve into restart problems for your OS. BTW what OS is it? W2K or XP?
Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:10:05 PM »
Give the three finger salute. Ctrl, Alt, Delete. Task manager, processes. End the process. You may want to look at the optimization file in the downloads section of this forum. What version of Mach are you running?

Brett

Brett, all I downloaded and installed in late December was the latest MACH3 and nothing else. When I open MACH it shows a graphic that says "MACH3 2.0" but from the help button it says 2.0.030 I think. I use XP Home Edition also.

I read your post wrong and looked at applications but there were no applications to close but I did try the shut down from the tool bar on the task manager window with no success. Then with all windows closed I pushed the power button and it went into standby mode and shut the monitor off. I then pushed the power button again and the monitor came on with the standby screen that also gives one the option to shut down by clicking on "turn off computer". I did so and it then shut down properly and I was able to start it and again turn it off properly. All appears to be well but my advice is to set the automatic standby in the control panel to never. This is probably written somewhere in the manual and I just didn't see it.

Thanks.

Kevin

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »
Good Kevin,
    I would suggest downloading the latest version of Mach also.

Brett

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 01:19:12 AM »
I had this same problem and it turned out to be the Key Grabber was on somehow and clicking on the grabber icon in the tray wouldn't turn it off. I had to go to the task manager and end the process. Then the computer was able to be switched off.

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 01:22:17 PM »
I have the same problem, if I start up Keygrabber, I can't shut it down, I have to go to the control panel and shut it off that way, and even then it takes awhile. Bug in keygrabber maybe??

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 08:04:48 PM »
I have never had this problem with mine. Are you guys going to your profile through keygrabber?

Brett

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »
I haven't really done anything with keygrabber, just started it up to see so maybe it's waiting to see what key I will choose or something. Just really a problem to close it out. I have the version 1.84********* for lathe if that makes any difference.