Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:03:26 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Step/Dir Issue?  (Read 3641 times)

Mach3 Step/Dir Issue?
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:35:57 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently trying to use a Linistepper V1 along side Mach3 to control 1 stepper motor. I have my step and dir signal going to the Linistepper driver and I am able to successfully and smoothly move/step the motor in one direction however when I try to move to the opposite direction(--) the motor gets loud and does move but very slowly.

What is odd is that if I switch the state of the "Step LowActiv" in the ports & pins / motor outputs tab I am able to move the motor in the direction that I previously couldnt, but once ive changed the step lowactiv state i am then unable to move in the other direction(++). This leads me to believe that Mach could be the issue.

Anyone bump into this before?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Step/Dir Issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
Try sherline mode and see if that helps.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
Thanks Hood I will try it tomorrow morning. What exactly does the Sherline pulse method do and have you heard of this happening before?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:16 AM »
It widens the pulse and no I have not heard of exactly these symptoms.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Hi,

I tried enabling the Sherline pulse method with no luck. I notice from looking at my step signal on  multimeter when I go to try to change to the direction that does not work the step signal will change from 5V to .6V once i've clicked the opposite direction button. I believe the step signal should be going directly to 0V to indicate that the direction has been reversed but for some reason it's sending out .6V. What is the problem here?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
The step signal will not change between 5v and 0v, what you will see on a multimeter will depend on the active state of the step pulse.
It will either be 0v when stationary and maybe a volt when jogging at rapid (more likely just mV) or if the active state is the other way it will be 5v when stationary dropping slightly to maybe 4v at full rapid.

A multimeter is not a good device to check the pulse with you really need a scope.

The Dir pin will change between 5v and 0v when jogging one way then the next, 0.6 will not be a problem as your drives will still see that as a logic low.
Hood