Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:43:40 AM

Author Topic: Conversion of Denford TRIAC milling to LPT  (Read 8275 times)

Conversion of Denford TRIAC milling to LPT
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:22:43 AM »
Hello everybody, I bought an old non-used TRIAC milling machine (the green one), and I want to convert it to work with MACH3.
I read almost all of the Posts that talk about this, but I didn't find any clarifications or descriptions on how to convert it.
I have in the attached file the Pin Configurations for the input cable to the controller of this machine.
I want your help in connecting this cable with the breakout board in order to work on MACH3.
Thanks in advance.

Usama
Re: Conversion of Denford TRIAC milling to LPT
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »
Hi Jim from Birmingham, England. I have converted a Triac with a little help form friends. I discarded all the electronics except for the spindle drive and power supply. Purchased BOB, Spindle drive card, 3 steeper drives and a power supply. I made drawings along the way and notes of the pin connections. Obviously your BOB and steppers will be different so let m know what you want. For reference you have a brilliant machine capable of cutting mild steel with ease. I have a few threads on the forum covering the problems I had and the help given mainly from Hodd. jim
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:22:49 AM »
Thank you Jim.
I think that changing the controller will be my last chance.
If I can make it with break board only it is better for me. As what (angel tech) did.

Usama
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:12:22 AM »
Ok no problem best of luck. The only problem you might find is maintaining the steps, when I used the denford circuit boards every time I did a loop it didn't go back to the exact start point a problem with the early denford (pre 1990). I have the origonal electrical drawings for a 1988 machine if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
Thanks for your time. So, if you are sure that it will have losing steps, I don't need to try it then.
My machine is 1987, and I have the electrical drawings for it, but I need the motor specifications like motor amp and also I want to know if the Z motor like the X and Y motors in amp (amper)?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Hi firstly denford early traics sometimes dont follow the electrical drawings, I found some of the wires went into the harness one colour and came out the other end a differenct colour, so always check the connections with a multimeter. The parker stepper units have a 240v/110v supply  into them be careful when dismantelling them.
I bought my replacement stuff from diycnc.co.uk and ebay. you will find a local supplier no doubt in your area
You need 3off 4.2amp steppers for you D34 motors they your motors are rated a 5amp but 4.2 will do you can go up to 5.8 if you want.
A power supply ( we made ours from the old circuit boards on the triac but the one at diycnc S35037 is ideal
a BOB sys1 V2 and a spindle slot in card from the version 4 unit if your triac has a LYNX 80 spindle drive unit
thats it except for tracing the wires back to the 4 wire D£4 steppers  and making sure they are connected correctly.
I did my machine some 3 years ago at a total cost of £250 however there will be better options for you to choose from now. I have the wiring drawings I made as I built the system if you want them let me know. One final thing is make sure you connect the oiling system back into the system to save you slide for wear. Jim
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:54:05 AM »
Thanks Jim for everything.
Please send me the wires drawings you made,to make it easier for me.
My email: usamahandal@hotmail.com

Thank you again.
Usama
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »
Hello Jim,

I have read that you have some drawings regarding your conversion, I am currently converting an' 86 pnc3, and have come into a few issues is there any chance you could forward me a copy of your drawings please.

jay.arms@live.com

Regards
Jason
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 02:10:09 PM »
Sent the info to your Email. Jim

Offline Zia

•  1 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:53:45 AM »
Hi Jim
   Last year I got hold of a old Triac CNC(all green) Mill. I am going to change it to Mach3,  but not sure to select the right stepper driver for it.  It is also bit difficult to find the right parts in  Melbourne as this CNC is much less popular or outdated. Few customized supplier asked a big bulk for anything you ask for. My plan is to spend less using the ebay local supplier parts.
 What you think will be the right move  :

i. Using the ebay driver (range upto 40V) and BOB with the existing motor. These stepper drivers allow 12V-48V (.2 to 5A) range. Will it be enough for the existing motors.
ii. Using new stepper motor with new ebay BOB and driver. What will be good . How about Nema 23 with 3N.m 4.2 A 0.9 ohm
iii. What could be best power supply , i got option of choosing 36v10A or 48V10A.

It would be great if you can send me the wiring diagram you used :  zhaque11@gmail.com

Tnx