Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:09:56 AM

Author Topic: Cant get tool settings on mach3 to work... NEWBIE :)  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Rune

•  16 16
    • View Profile
Cant get tool settings on mach3 to work... NEWBIE :)
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:26:08 AM »
Hi,... my tool diameter on mach3 does not work.. it seems to always think that it uses 2.5 mm bit as it overcuts.. i have tryed 3 - 4 mm and 4.5 mm but it cuts just the same as it think that bit is 2.5... there must be some wrong with my gcode. can someone please help me here? trying to look for any info about this with no sucsess...

I use phlatscript on google sketchup7 all units in mm both in mach and sketcup.

Gcode attached.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:30:23 AM by Rune »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Cant get tool settings on mach3 to work... NEWBIE :)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:06:45 AM »
Hi Rune,

There are different ways of handling the cutter radius compensation.
You can produce an 'on the line' type of toolpath then include the G41/G42 commands into your GCode to apply the offsets set up in your tool table etc (see the Mach3 manual for full details).

Personally I prefer to include the cutter radius compensation into the generated GCode (exactly what your Phlatscrip appears to have done).
Just changing the tool size within Mach3 will not have any effect on the actual toolpath if you are using this method.
If you post a question on the Phlatforum the guys there will will tell you how to set your tool diameter within the Phlatscript/Sketchup GCode generation.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Rune

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »
Hi... the tool diameter from phlatscript dont work... I have tryed more tool sets but only the same result.. why? it would be very nice to get it work in the gcode.. but if i dont get it to work where do I put the g41\ g42 on the gcode? and what are the diffrens of g41 and g42? mm and inches?

Thanks

Rune

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »
G41 = Offset Left
G42 = Offset Right

It's not as simple as just adding them to the code. You also need to add lead in and lead out moves with them. Search this forum for G41/G42 and you should find lots of examples.

Personally, I think you'd be better off finding a CAM program that will do the offset correctly, or write proper G41/G42 g-code.

Adding G41/G42 to existing code  can be tricky, and will get old very quickly.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Rune

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »
Okey... it sounds tricky... do you have som rekomendation for a good easy cheap cam program?
Just wonder :)

Thanks alot

Rune

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:00:41 AM »
Cut2D, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to use with Sketchup, as it only imports 2D drawings.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
I ran into a similar issue recently. I am using Mastercam and was saving my files as DXF's and importing those into mach 3. Hood helped straighten me out on that. I had to create an NC file from Mastercam and import that. My cutouts were consistently about .14 too small (using a 1/8" bit). After I imported the NC file it was perfect. Your problem isn't likely caused by Mach 3, just that you are importing the wrong type of file. I'm not familiar with Google Sketchup and still very new to the CNC world so I can't help much more than this.