Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:07:47 AM

Author Topic: Mill homing  (Read 3062 times)

Mill homing
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
Is there a tick box or something similar which will make Mach 3 remember where it is from PC shutdown to restart? every time I start it Mach 3 comes to life with a completely random set of coordinates and I have to find the origin of my work every time and re zero everything.
 Eventually I will invest the time in a set of home limits but at the moment I am much too busy playing with the mill.
Mach 3 does give me a message on closing to save the fixture which I accept but this does not remember where I am, any advice would be usefull.
Thanks.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mill homing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
I think you need to check Persistant offsets in the Gen Config page.

Beadvised that when you shut down MACh3 and the motors deenergize the machine can drift a touch. ALSO when you reenergize the motrs they will pull up to the next full step position.

So the machine may not be in the exact location as you left it.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »
Just a comment building on what TP posted. It's one of the reasons that homing without limit swithes is not good and additionaly you
may bunp the axis handle and your really out of position when one starts up.

I should talk ...........   ;) I don't have switches on any of my machines. Then one could say ....Who needs them? ;D

RICH

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
You need to check Persistant Offsets and Persistant DRO's in the General Configuration page.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 03:18:50 AM »
Could you explain a little more on persistant Offsets and DRO's I do not understand?
 Can you set mach to 0 on start up at this page?
  I now get what you mean about the motors moving on start up, I witnessed this last night, its not a huge problem for me as I am only routing wooden parts and my gearing is quite high so from a step jump I get microns of movement.
Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »
They are options on General Config page, you can get that from the Config menu in Mach.
Hood