Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 10:03:33 PM

Author Topic: Configuring stepper motor speeds.  (Read 2562 times)

Configuring stepper motor speeds.
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »
I am totally new at CNC so not sure how to ask. This is the free software I got from a kit online on Ebay. So am limited to how many steps I can do. That is OK until I learn what I am doing. I built my own CNC Wooden router from a book I bought. It is a lot smaller than the one the book model but it works just the same, just a small table. No room in the garage for any larger unit.
When I change my Y stepper motor pulse step from 4 to 5 to run smoother then my z pulse also changes and it is way to fast for it and locks up. Why does my change on y effect z? Also with the free trial software I noticed that if I edit a program to run the Z motion from a positive to a negative movement it always goes the same direction. The Z motor is direct drive (el cheapo rubber hose coupling for now) to a 1/2" 13 stainless threaded rod and the Y motor I have added a nylon gear set. (My own design). A larger gear on the motor and a smaller gear on the 1/2 Shaft which gives me a 1 revolution on the motor to a little over 2 on the 1/2" shaft. The Y axis growls quite a bit no matter what speed I set it for and have messed with the driver attenuators and it helps some. My X motor set up has a 3 gear drive (my own design) (from scrap paper shredders). It runs pretty smooth, not sure of the ratio but a lot faster than the Y or Z. The Z travels pretty nice and smooth but just can't get the directions to reverse thru program change. There is no friction on the Y direction, the shaft turns freely and the gears do not bind so that is not a problem there.