Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:40:25 AM

Author Topic: CNC4PC C11 question  (Read 5850 times)

CNC4PC C11 question
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
Hi there, esteemed CNC gurus. ;D

I am retrofitting a Denford ORAC lathe and have a couple of CNC4PC C11 B.O.B. questions.  I emailed Arturo who is usually extremely quick but I guess he’s on vacation and I haven’t heard back yet.  I’m hoping to get the spindle on/off via Mach going and then proceed on to speed control.  The ol’ eat the elephant one bite at a time applies here.

I have it installed and working as far as the stepper motors go.  I have the control PC’s USB connected to the C11’s supplied USB 5V power cord and am using a converted PC power supply for the other 5V and 12V connections.

Does the C11 require that one of its onboard ground connections be connected to the machine's central ground point?

I want to use one of the C11 onboard relays to switch power on & off to the 24VDC coil in a separate larger relay that switches the 110VAC power to my DC motor speed control.  I must admit I'm confused by the manual and various wiring docs on the website.  It’s probably just a lack of electronics terminology knowledge on my part.

If I have +24VDC going "in" to my large relay's coil, do I just connect the other side of the coil to the "NO" connection on the C11 and the V_IN1 to the -24VDC wire on my 24VDC power supply?  I know I’ll have to configure Mach to supply a pulse to the C11 via pin 1 or 16.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
Re: CNC4PC C11 question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
Answering my own question feels kinda dumb but in case anyone else is down at my level of electronics savvy and has a similar question here's what I did.  (Some other clueless person may spend hours searching for "CNC4PC C11 relay hookup" like I did trying not to let out the magic smoke.)

I configured Mach to tell the C11 to switch the relay on & off via Pin 1 and sure enough, the "NO" connection and the V_IN2 measured open with an ohmeter when the spindle was off, then the relay clicked and the terminals measured closed circuit when when the spindle was clicked on.  I connected the external relay's 24VDC power feed across the terminals and it works perfectly.

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »
I've been wanting to do that as well. I've got Pin1 set for turning on my flood coolant pump via the c11's on-board relay. I have c11 Rev 7.2 and it has the terminal screws that I can run 110v through. Once I activate the relay, I've got 110v turned on that enable the flood coolant pump to run.

What I don't get is the other one (Pin16) and how it's used. Since it doesn't appear to have a terminal like Pin1, is there voltage available that could be used for an external relay that would allow me to operate some other device, like a spindle fan-coolant system?

I'm electronics illiterate in 27 Languages!  ;D
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
hello group,
i have a Denford CNC lathe that im trying to convert to mach3 but im not sure of the type BOB to use. could someone advise on this?

thanks in advance
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »
Hello, that's kinda like asking what kind of car to buy. ;D

There's a lot of options out there and from what I've read, many of them are very good products.  I bought the C11 because it looked to me like it had the most functions that I needed for my project for the lowest price.  It's now working well but I had a VERY hard time getting the speed control working due to my lack of electronics knowledge and total ignorance of the isolation issue with my KB SCR speed control.  I had to buy a separate KBSI-240D signal isolator to get the speed control to work.

Some portions of the manual were unintelligible (to me) The seller, Arturo Duncan was quick to respond to my questions but I just couldn't understand what he was trying to tell me and I got very frustrated.  I think the prioduct is fine but the manuals need a total re-write in some areas for cuttomers like me that are weak in electronics .  Will I buy another one if the need arises?  Probably so if I'm still on a budget.

Another ORAC owner/retrofitter I've corresponded with uses a Campbell Designs B.O.B and he's very happy with it.  It has onboard power supplies and I think it handles the SCR speed control isolation problem differently.  It is almost twice the price though.

I wouldn’t go with one of the many cheap units you see on ebay and would recommend  staying with an established product that has good support.  You can find a lot of info here and on other sites online that my help with your decision.

Good luck and post lots of pics of your project!

Offline rs232

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »
What ever you do don't buy BOBs or motor drivers from w**HYU68.com (China/Hong Kong)they are a waist of time and money.
I bought a BOB from them and have spend 4 hour fixing it and sorting the output connections.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Most of the time it is a waste of time to mention QUALITY BOB's  as 99% of the Time the price point wins the discussion anyway.

THEN you end up getting what you paid for.

So what is the point, (;-)