Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:34:53 AM

Author Topic: problems with ATC with more then 5 tools  (Read 4113 times)

problems with ATC with more then 5 tools
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
I am trying to work on a tool changer with more then 5 tools.  10 tools to be exact.
I have the screen set made for it.
The m104 macro was edited by a colleague as I do not understand the coding.
Latest release of mach installed
the tool changer is nothing more then an air powered spindle and programmed locations within the working envelope.

When the gcode request the tool say number 6, I get the error box that only 1-5 tools are allowed.  Opened the m104 macro and cannot find this call.  I did find where it says only 1-10 tools are allowed.
I also get the "This tool is already selected" from time to time.

Can someone take a look at this macro and see what is screwy with it?

also is there another place I should look?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: problems with ATC with more then 5 tools
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
I suspect that is not the macro that you are using. First if its an auto toolchanger it should be called M6Start.m1s and it should be placed in the macro folder of the profile you are using.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »
its not so much as a physical turret ATC as much as a spindle that is air driven to open and close the collet.  The tools are offsets.  Tell it to go get tool one with no tool, it moves to the programmed location, triggers a relay (output 2)  goes to a z machine cord.  closes collet (relay off)  then goes and probes the tool on the tool height sensor then move to a fixture offset.

tell it to get tool 2 it will go back to current tool location, open collet drop tool move to tool 2 location close collet and then go probe.  It has worked with this setup for 5 tools.  It was only untill the updated m104 macro did things get stupid.  I didnt program them, so I dont know.

upon more testing I found this.
If I go into my screen set and click the tool number button I want 1-10 it will get them and probe them.
If I use the mo6 command in the MDI line its gets really weird.
m06t2  gives me "tool already loaded"
m06t2 again it will get the tool and probe.
mo6t3 gives me "tool already loaded"
m06t3 again it will get the tool and probe.
m06t9 tool already loaded
mo6t9 again it will go put back the current tool  then I get a macro error box that says "Tool not available 1-5 only"

In the m104 macro I see where it says "tool no available 1-10 only" 2 times I think, but no 1-5 only.... so I do not know where it could be getting that message to display from. 

The m6start only has
  tool = GetSelectedTool()
  SetCurrentTool( tool )
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=854oPEK6bWA&list=PLFF5C5587456531DD&index=17&feature=plpp_video

Here is what I am trying to do but with 10 tool.  At the end of each tool pick up you will hear a computer beep that is because I do not have the tool probe setup so it ignores it. 

Just for a reference of what I am working with..........  This is running with a 5 tool setup.  The 10 tool setup only had the screenset changed and the m104 changed  No other files were replaced.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
You would be best  using the M6 macros for your toolchange as that is what Mach looks at when you call M6 from code.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
Here is the m6start macro that I received.
Here is the behavior I am experiencing.  Maybe someone better then I might have an ideal

When mach starts, it defaults to current tool 0 If I use m6t1  I get the message "tool not available tools 1-10 only"  Which I can find in both the custom m104 and m6start macros.  I dont know VB but what I can make out is that there is no handling of the case "0" in the current tool box.  Is there a way to add that into the macros?

now If I tell it (by typing a number) into the current tool box on the screenset  I can then click on a tool change number button which in the button editor I see is directed to the m104 macro.  and it will do it.  But giving a g6t# I cat "Current tool already loaded" message which I can find in the macros as well.  Click ok on the dialog box and do the exact same (or any other m6t#) and it will do the change. 

What I do not understand, is why it will give me a dialog box upon one request of an m6 toolchange, but then it will do the required change if I do the exact command a second time.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
DID  this routine come with the machine in question ??  If so your best bet would be with the one who designed the functions they will understand the code.

IF NOT it is vey hard to even imagine what the machine is doing without seeing it work and watching the code run.   ALSO if it was NOT designed for your machine then there could be refferences to functions running that your machine does not have.

Just a thought, (;-)TP
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »
we think we found the problem.  The macros were written for an earlier version of mach.  There appeared to have been a bug in the "get tool" portion and was programmed around.  Now the newer versions of mach handle it differently.  (we think)