Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 10:27:31 AM

Author Topic: Motor Pin Numbers Changing Randomly....HELP PLEASE  (Read 3149 times)

Motor Pin Numbers Changing Randomly....HELP PLEASE
« on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »
Hi, I've just bought a second hand taig micro mill 2000 with a microproto stepper controller and I'm currently trying to set up Mach3 to run it. I downloaded the XML available from this site specifically for my setup and after a lot of messing around with parallel port configurations I'm now almost there.

The final issue I appear to have is that the pin numbers change during operation. When I first fire up Mach3 every thing works fine and I can jog the axis or run a program ok. Shortly after startup, anything from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, one or more of the axis will suddenly stop functioning. This primerrily effects the x axis but has also occurred occasionally on both y and z as well.

After a lot of head scratching and cups of tea I have tracked the issue down to Pin numbers being changed randomly whilst using the software. When I first start Mach3 I check the pin assignments are as set in the XML and everything works fine. Once the issue occurs if I go back into the pin and port settings I can see that the step pin number assigned to the effected axis has been changed to something different to that originally configured.  If I then change the pin back to what it should be it fires back into life.... Until the same thing happens again a few minutes later.

I would like to get this sorted before shelling out for a license so would appreciate anyone's help.

PS. I have seen someone else had a similar issue but there was no response on the forum.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4197.0.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:02:34 PM by Taig2000uk »
Re: Motor Pin Numbers Changing Randomly....HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »
this is a teaser, what do you have running on the host computer, what os, what programs?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »
Can you attach your current cml please.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
I'm using an xp laptop which I've just rebuilt so apart from Mach 3 the only other thing it's running is FreeMill (which isn't a lot of use as you can't seem to set max cutting step depth). I also have the joypad plugin installed and running.

I do have 2 versions of Mach 3 installed as the mill came with a copy of an older version but only running with the latest one I just downloaded. Could this cause an issue? Hummhhh.

Not with the computure at the moment but will post the XML as soon as I get a chance tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response guys!

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
it's possible that the other mach is causing the trouble, try renaming the older mach directory and it's xml
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »
Well I removed both versions of Mach 3 and re-installed the latest one and all seems to work fine!

Thought I'd better close the thread out!

Cheers for the help.