Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:50:09 PM

Author Topic: "Dry Run" button  (Read 10280 times)

"Dry Run" button
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »
I used to run a VMC with a Fanuc 6M control. It had a switch labeled "Dry Run". It allowed running the program at a rapid feedrate no matter what feedrate was programmed. It made testing a program faster because you didn't have to wait for long slow moves. I want to add a button for this.

I found an OEM code for "Feed rate ignoring that set in F word DRO". It sounds perfect for a "Dry Run" button.

Does anyone know how to set the value of that DRO?

I cannot edit it on the screen when inserted in the screen set. It is set to 1000 by default.

How would I have Mach3 use this value once set?

I am thinking a Brain could be used, but I don't know how to override the programmed feedrate.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)
Re: "Dry Run" button
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »
So I answered my first question myself. It turns out, I CAN change the value by editing it on the screen. I must have not clicked on it when I thought I did when I tried it before.

So I still need to figure out how to have Mach3 use it for the feedrate....
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
I have never seen a reference to that DRO. There are many leftover THINGS from days past that have no function in later versions.

Please let us know IF you ever find what the DRO was for.

(;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:02:14 PM »
My thought is to use a Brain that sets the feedrate equal to the "Feed rate ignoring that set in F word DRO" when the "Dry Run" button is pressed.

I don't know how to make a user defined button that will toggle the feedrate back and forth. Nor do I know how to make an LED to show it toggle.

Is it possible to make user defined DROs and LEDs?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »
Well, I know there are people out there that know the answers to my questions. But since nobody has chimed in, I must not be asking my questions in a clear and concise way. My apologies, I'll try again....

How do I create a user defined button that will create an event that be used by a Brain?

I believe it is something like setDRO or something, can someone please explain the syntax and what the arguments are?

Also, I want to make it "toggle". Does anyone have suggestions about how to do that?

I have had some success with writing Brains that look at various LEDs and DROs and respond to them, but I am not clear as to how have buttons and Brains interact.

Is there a particular reference that would have more of these details?

Thanks for your help.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »
Create a User LED and a User DRO. They are just like regular ones, with numbers over 1255 I think.
Make the button toggle the LED. Like this:

If GetOEMLED(1865) Then
Call SetUserLED(1865,0)
Else
Call SetUserLED(1865,1)
End If

Which means:
If it's on, turn it off.
If it's off, turn it on.

Then have your brain check if the User LED is on, and adjust the feedrate if it is.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »
THANKS Gerry!

The script you provided makes sense, but I wouldn't have been able to create it myself (with my limited experience with VB). Being able to "reverse engineer" the script helps me understand its function. Again, THANKS!

I'll give this a try and report back.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
I got the button to toggle and light LEDs just like I want! However, I still haven't figured out how to override the feedrate so when the G-Code changes it, it will stay at the "Dry Run" value.

I haven't got the Brain to work the way I want.

How do I output one of two different values, depending on whether an LED is on?

I think I should be able to use Boolean algebra in a formula, but I have never done that before. My experience with Boolean Logic is with gates, so I don't know the syntax needed for this application.

Can someone give an example of a formula that includes Boolean operations? (Or point me to some other reference material)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:43:20 AM »
Please let us know IF you ever find what the DRO was for.

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I stumbled upon this OEM Button:
OEM Button 299              Toggle bypass feed (enables value in OEM DRO 122)

And OEM DRO 122:
OEM DRO 122                  Feed rate ignoring that set in F word DRO

Along with OEM LED 113:
OEM LED 113                   Alternative feedrate in use (see OEM DRO 122)

I'm about to test them in my new screen set!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 07:39:22 AM »
So your saying if I set a button, DRO and a LED to these values I will have a dry run option? How can I do this and also turn the Z axis off?