Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:54:02 AM

Author Topic: Need Encoder for threading  (Read 18424 times)

Re: Need Encoder for threading
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »
Hood;

I purchased 2 of those OPB 916B sensors to be used as an encoder for my lathe threading project.   I connected one of them up
to a 5VDC powersupply and got it working so I connected the second to my breakout board.    There does not seem to
be 5VDC between PIN #6 and PIN #1 or #2.   Seems like voltage should be there if the computer is turned ON.

I ran the spindle motor from the computer and still no voltage.

Any ideas?
Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 02:53:20 AM »
Dont know what BOB you have but if there is meant to be 5v and Gnd on these pins maybe you need to set some jumpers or something?
BTW hope you are remembering the resistor between the 5v and the LED of the OPB?
Hood
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 05:51:16 AM »
Hood;

Yep, the 220 ohm resister is in the circuit.   I'm using a "Sound Logic Breakout board Plus" from Bob Cambell designs.
I also sent them an email with the same question.   He has been very helpful so far.

This breakout board is made for Mach2 and Mach3 users.
Thanks,  Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
Ok I am not familiar with the BOB, I do know of them but have never used one.
Will see if I can download the manual and have a look but hopefully Bob will get back to you.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 06:22:47 PM »
Hood;

Here is a link to the user manual.

http://campbelldesigns.net/files/breakout-user-guide-1-8.pdf

The ENCODER is J23 on page #4.   J23 is a 25 pin connector.   I was able to identify the PIN numbers by using another cable I happened to have on hand where the pins are numbered.

Bob Cambell told me to use a separate 5V power supply which I have done with a USB cable connected to the computer.    However, the input from the sensor is connected to PIN 5 which is optically connected to PIN15.   Going to the Mach3 "diagnostics window"  I see no change at the "INDEX" PIN 15 when I rotate the spindle past the sensor.

I doubt the PIN 15 input is working.    I did run a -5V wire to PIN 1 which should be GND.   Maybe that is a mistake?   Maybe a
+5V wire should be connected somewhere on J23?

I have verified the sensor is working but the computer does not see it as wired.

I think this is a simple fix for someone that has done this before.   Jim
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:27:18 PM by jglass »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 06:34:42 PM »
Just out of curiosity what do you have the Index Debounce set to on General Config page? I found anything above 0 gave me poor readings although others have found they need maybe 10 or so.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »
I just had a quick read as its getting late here but I see it says the encoder inputs are connected to pin 12, 13 and 15 but also the  Y, Z and A home share the same pins. Do you have home switches connected to these inputs? If so that may be your issue.
Will look back in the morning and see what you say then we can take it from there.
Hood
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
The only pins I have assigned are for the 3 steppers, the charge pump and the reset

I checked the Debounce settings and they were quite high.

I'm beginning to think I should run +5V to PIN 6.   After that I may run the sensor output directly to PIN 15.

Will I be able to tell if the INDEX input is working from the diagnostic screen
Jim
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:31:22 PM by jglass »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
Can you attach your xml as it may be a config issue.
Hood
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »
Hood;

I got it working!!!     I tried evrything to wire the sensor to J23 so I gave up and used the terminals for "A Home" since I don't plan to use homing.    "A Home" has terminals for +12v, GND, Sensor.   No longer need the 5V power source.   My  electrical cabinet just got a lot cleaner.

Went to ports and pins and set INDEX to  PORT  1 and PIN 15  and then ACTIVE LOW and it works.   I just checked the
tachometer reading with a handheld tach and they agree to better than 1%.

Now I'm reading to try threading.  

Thanks,   Jim