Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:18:33 PM

Author Topic: CamBam export g code into Mach3  (Read 16095 times)

CamBam export g code into Mach3
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
I have searched a lot, here is my results. I am trying to machine a  3D object, drawn in Viacad. STL import into CamBam, toolpathed and g code are done. This is where I get lost. It seems Lazycam only imports/exports 2 and 2.5 dxf drawing into Mach3. Lazycam is the only way to get a drawing into Mach3. However, Can I export/import my 3d drawings  g-code from CamBam  into Mach3? Am I limited in Mach3 usage in doing so? I am going through everything  (tutorials) and the manual again, as I am still new, but am asking this as a course of direction so as not to waste time and energy. Thank you, Robert

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: CamBam export g code into Mach3
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »
I have searched a lot, here is my results. I am trying to machine a  3D object, drawn in Viacad. STL import into CamBam, toolpathed and g code are done. This is where I get lost.

You export the g-code from CamBam, and open it in Mach3. You don't need to use LazyCAM if you're using CamBam.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »
Right click in the Cambam graphics area>Machining  >Generate Toolpaths and then the same but select Produce Gcode to save the file.
Open the saved file in Mach.
RICH
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
Hi guys--
does this mean that i can use cambam for the drawing of the original part and convert into
gcode in one operation?? or do i still need another program ( like utocad) to do the drawing
If so does cambam do the drawing in 3d ( sort of like solidworks)

regards fred
think of the trees-- use both sides of the computer paper

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »
CamBam does have limited CAD capabilities. For simple 2D projects I just use Cambam, for more complex things I use another CAD package save it as DXF (or STL) and import that into CamBam. For 3D work you will want to use another program for the design.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
thnaks chapes

fred
think of the trees-- use both sides of the computer paper

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:40:05 PM »
Select and learn a CAD or CAM to do 3d work and become proficient at it. If you save  as a stl file Cambam can be used to genreate the pathing and code but be aware that Cambam dose not have some of the capabilities of other programs when it comes to  generating the pathing for the gcode. It may satisfy your needs though.

RICH

Offline LGF

•  37 37
  • can't sit still
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:29:03 AM »
Guys

I use autocad for the designing, then importing into Cambam, do all the required thingy's there but for a reason yet to strike me like a lightning bolt on a cloudless day, i cannot seem to get the g-code loaded into mach. I can however only export the processed file as a dxf file that I then get to load in lazycam, but it throws away all the parameters that was set in cambam.

Cambam saves the processed G-code file as a .nc, but Mach doesn't see the file in the sub when it is to be imported.

Is there any way that one can import the .nc file into mach for the G-code to load?

PS, I have mach set up as the post processor in Cambam.
When I die, will someone please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend my funeral. No need to do or say anything, just attend and stand a short distance away? PLEASE???

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
The file extension, i.e. .tap, .nc, is not important. Mcah will load in any text file. When you click on the load GCode button in Mach and the Open file dialog pops up look at the bottom of that dialog and you will see a place where you can change the file type (extension) it looks for.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline LGF

•  37 37
  • can't sit still
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Thanx Jeff

Got that sorted this eve, I swear it did not allow for the id (showing other formats) when I tried load g-code files on Wednesday, but like I said I got that right tonight. The thing is that with the g-code in cambam (since I am able to load the .nc files) (previously exported the file in cambam to dxf, then opened in lazycam, then posted to mach) it seems to omit some parts of the cut, if I do manage to get all the lines of the cut as part of the g-code then it only allows for a certain depth to be cut, it is either or, either I can cut some part of the drawing full depth or the full drawing only part of the target depth, this is the main reason why I went nuts when I used lazycam, it does exactly the same? Make me think I am stuffing-up somewhere! Just don't know where.
When I die, will someone please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend my funeral. No need to do or say anything, just attend and stand a short distance away? PLEASE???